1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Halo Helmet

Discussion in 'Projects' started by KTMDirtFace, Nov 7, 2015.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

and maybe full suit later.

Started printing this out today from thingiverse in Orange ESUN PETG on the Robo R1.

The raft and supports have been coming off extremely easy with this material. just used my fingers not even any tools.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158120

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KTMDirtFace

Couple more parts printed, I think 16 parts in total and i'm currently on part 4 or 5..going to take awhile.

Settings: Simplify3D PLA default settings but 235 Nozzle 85 bed temp because its PETG. 0.2mm layer height, 10% infill with supports and a raft. Printing it on a PrintinZ zebra printing surface plate.

[​IMG]

#2 KTMDirtFace, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Mike Kelly and janot928 like this.
  3. janot928

janot928 Active Member

really nice looking prints. I think i'm gonna order some petg next time i buy some filament

4. KTMDirtFace

Big Side piece done. Lots of supports on there.. took almost 10 hours. Printing the other side now..still lots to go.

[​IMG]

The pieces so far.. just held together with masking tape at the moment. I just ordered the tension pins that go in it to hold the parts together.

[​IMG]

Lots more parts to print. Apparently 1KG of material will print a full helmet. I ordered some more just in case.

Mike Kelly and janot928 like this.
  5. KTMDirtFace

Getting close.. one small part is printing now for the back right. then 2 huge parts for the top hemisphere area.. may have it printed out and glued by the end of the weekend.

The robo3d has been going non stop every night like a champ.

[​IMG]

Robo3d and the zebra plate putting in work ( something like 18 hours to print the visor )
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I think im going to run out of filament. 1KG might work if you dont do rafts and limit support, but on such big prints i decided to do rafts and all kinds of support..did not want to print twice...i thinke 1KG is close though..though I have 2 rather large prints yet which will need lots of support.

#5 KTMDirtFace, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    janot928, Mike Kelly and Menissalt like this.
  6. Menissalt

Menissalt New Member

So everything looks like it's coming together pretty easy. No complications so far?

I'm about to get some PET from Microcenter and give it a shot, I already used S3D.

7. KTMDirtFace

Yea I printed the full helmet without any real issues. Then I got busy with other stuff.. Printing has been done for awhile I glued most of it together and got a gold/yellow Shoei motorcycle helmet visor i need to mod a bit to get in there and finish gluing.

I did a couple things wrong.. One was I glued both sides together before putting the top rib piece in.. bad idea. I should have built in in halves and then glued two complete halves together, then finally the visor and chin bar after that.. I had to really reef on it to get the pins in because of multiple dimensions I already glued. .luckily the PET has some give :)

Another thing to note, the guy that put the files on thingiverse said the adult size one is good for adults. I wear a medium/large motorcycle helmet (i'm between sizes. Arai mediums fit me perfect ..some other brands I have to wear a large ..mostly due to roundness my head is long and skinny, arai's are one of the only "long oval" shaped helmets ) and the helmet will almost not fit over my head with the front chin bar installed.. I have it setup with magnets now ( part of the design ).. some of my friends that wear Large->XXL moto helmets it doesn't fit them at all. just and FYI. might want to scale it up if you got a big brain lol ( thats what my big head friends say ). I think i would prefer it to not have magnets if I want to paint and bondo and sand it the chin bar gap would be noticable. If I print another one i will scale it up a tad. I CAN fit it over my head/face but its very very tight..once its on its fine.

Having trouble uploading the recent pics to my smugmug account.. I will post them as soon as my phone stops screwing off and uploads them.

8. KTMDirtFace

9. janot928

janot928 Active Member

anny photos of the finished product ?

10. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

Man that looks sick, gotta see the finished product.

11. KTMDirtFace

Ha..sorry unfortuantly I still have not finished it.

I have the visor and an actual moto helmet liner sitting here, just havn't got to it yet

When I do finish it I think im going to leave it in the original orange PETG rather than painting it "Looks like a jolly rancher..(some guy at my work)"