1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Quieter fans for the R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JustinRF, Feb 28, 2016.

1. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

Hey!
    I noticed, especially when I was with a friend who has a (much quieter) 3D printer, that the fans are excessively loud. Does anyone have advice for quiet fans, or links to buy on Amazon? It is in my room where I work and it drives me insane. Thanks!

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

One word Noctua!

I would also think about printing a new shroud for whichever hot end you have If it's a Hexagon then 30 mm is about as big as you can go but a 30 mm is quieter than the 25 mm provided. If it's an E3D you can replace the blue shroud with a 40 mm, then you can get a quiet fan like the Noctua mentioned above. The fan in the bottom of the case is also 40 mm but a better idea is to make the cutout bigger and use an 80-120 mm slim fan in it's place. The power supply uses a 60 mm fan and can also be replaced. Those are all of them.

All the shrouds are up on Thingiverse.

Geof likes this.
  3. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

Thanks! I think I will do that!

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

i put shrouds on my fan and it made quite the difference for the part fan and ramp fan, I'm still using the 25mm extruder fan but just got use to the noise, it makes me appreciate my ditto pro all the more :)

5. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

@WheresWaldo I didn't know that the PSU fan can also be swapped with a better one. Now you are making me wanting to do just that. Any links you can share that works for the PSU?

For my setup, that is the only thing that I am yet to do something about it.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

7. NateTheApe

NateTheApe New Member

Perfect! This is what I was looking for as well. Although I've dealt with the noise for over a year, I've decided to switch to all Noctua's in the bottom of the printer as the bearings are going out on both the case and psu fan.

8. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

You can fit a 60mm x 25mm fan in the PSU. I just did this yesterday. Also used rubber
    fan mounts rather than screwing it tight to the lid. That seemed to cut down a lot of the
    noise as well.

Replacing the 25mm hotend fan with a new shroud and 40mm fan also cut down printer
    noise greatly!

9. aenea22980

aenea22980 New Member

My hot end fan and the bed fan were making a horrible noise when running together, so I ended up taking the hot end fan off and removing the funnel and just hot glueing it to the black metal that spans between the X axis rails that holds the hot end (don't know the name of this piece), pointed up at the hot end heat sink. It doesn't get hot there so the hot glue doesn't unstick, and it holds the fan great. No more loud fan sounds, and the printer worked fine for a 14 hr print. Maybe it's not quite so engineery, but it was a super fast fix. Just make sure you don't hot glue the fan itself stuck.

10. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Anyone know the size of the print fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Print fan ?

Part fan is 40x40x10 stock hotend is a 25x25x10 stock. E3d is 30x30x10....i think

WZ9V likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those are correct.

13. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I took out the tiny 40mm fan that came with it, and swapped it for an 80mm X 25mm, with feet that raise up the printer and I left off the bottom panel on 1 of my Robo's. On the other I did the same thing but used a 80mm X 15mm fan.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.