1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Lead Screw Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Harry, Jul 14, 2015.

1. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

i printed stabilizers like 2 years ago when i got the printer, but never installed them. i think when i change the threaded rods i might put those on

2. Blucross

Blucross New Member

Just received my Leadscrew upgrade kit, and I am a little thrown off due to the stickers on the motors having different values on them.

One of the motors says: 216mm-ZS

The other says: 483mm-ZL

Both of the motors look identical otherwise, and have the same exact date on their respective stickers.

In addition, the motors wires are not attached, but the manual says refers to them as "the motor with the longer wire" and "the motor with the shorter wire."

Can anyone help shed some clarity on it? I just don't want to make the mistake of treating them as position agnostic when they are not.

Much appreciated!

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In the end they are Z axis motors. Both must work pretty much the same.
    IIRC (lots of scotch ago) I think mine were also labeled differently.
    I ignored it.

Worst case, you move the wires from one to the other* :)

Seriously though they are electrically the same.

*where they connect to the ramps is really close

Geof likes this.
  4. Blucross

Blucross New Member

OK, thanks for the confirmation. I'll proceed as normal, thanks for the prompt reply!!!

Geof likes this.
  5. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I finally just finished the upgrade that I have been putting off. I have a quick question.
    After the lead screw upgrade and the firmware is updated, it it then considered a R1 + Plus, firmware wise?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes i use the leadscrew firmware for my r1+ most the time

7. Darren Knott

Darren Knott New Member

HI. I received my Z screw upgrade today and have installed the hardware, however the software upgrade instructions given on the Robo site is way over my head. I have no idea how to even begin to do the software update, they talk about doing an ardiou upgrade first....... no idea what one of those is, the printer is working on the original software but is miles off on the z axis due to the much different pitch of the threads. I only got the upgrade as one of the original Z stepper motors failed and it seemed like a good idea to replace the duff motor and upgrade it at the same time. Can someone please point me in the direction of a step by step set of instructions on how to do the software install for someone who has never done anything like that before!.....pretty please!!

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. Chuck Erwin

Flashing the firmware

1. Arduino is free to download at www.arduino.cc

2. Please download and install the latest arduino software.

3. Ignore this **** Attached is the .zip file for the marlin auto level firmware.

You want the lead screw upgrade firmware zip file

4. Download the file. You will need to extract the folder of the .zip file and put it to where your arduino software is looking for sketchbooks.

5. To find out the file path for where arduino is looking for sketchbooks, open the arduino software

6. Go to file, preferences, and see at the top of the window sketchbook location.

7. Extract the .zip file and put the extracted folder into that sketchbook folder.

Steps to uploading the firmware (or flashing the arduino with the same firmware).

1. Make sure your computer is connected to the printer via USB cable. You can leave the power cord unplugged for this procedure.

2. Do not connect repetier or any other software system to your printer.

3. Open the arduino software.

4. Under tools choose board and then arduino mega 2560

5. Under tools choose serial port and choose the option associated with your printer (will probably be the only option, if not, unplug your printer and see which option goes away).

6. Under file, choose sketchbook, and then choose (Ignore this) ->marlin auto level

Again you want the lead screw upgrade firmware

7. Now hit the upload button in the arduino software. This is the green arrow pointing to the right at the top of the arduino software window.

8. When the firmware is finished uploading, the arduino software will say “Done uploading” at the bottom of the window.

Note: This is a good time to tighten your belts while your at it.Also I had a one of the end stop backwards and then had to align the lead screws manually again. Hopefully you are better at paying attention than me.

#249 Chuck Erwin, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Darren Knott likes this.
  10. Darren Knott

Darren Knott New Member

Hi. Thanks for replying. As i said I have no idea what the instructions you refer to are talking about. I know nothing about zip files or sketchbooks (whatever they are!!)

11. Darren Knott

Darren Knott New Member

To clarify just how stupid I am please see the instructions below with my comments highlighting my ignorance!

1. Arduino is free to download at www.arduino.cc OK GOT THAT
    2. Please download and install the latest arduino software. DONE THAT BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH IT
    3. Attached is the .zip file for the marlin auto level firmware. NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS ABOUT AND WHAT IS THE MARLIN AUTO LEVEL FIRMWARE AND WHERE IS IT
    4. Download the file. You will need to extract the folder of the .zip file and put it to where your arduino software is looking for sketchbooks. NO IDEA WHAT EXTRACTING A ZIP FILE IS, WHERE TO LOOK FOR THE SOFTWARE LOCATION OR WHAT A SKETCHBOOK IS
    5. To find out the file path for where arduino is looking for sketchbooks, open the arduino software NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF THIS IS ABOUT
    6. Go to file, preferences, and see at the top of the window sketchbook location. NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF THIS IS ABOUT
    7. Extract the .zip file and put the extracted folder into that sketchbook folder. NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF THIS IS ABOUT
    Steps to uploading the firmware (or flashing the arduino with the same firmware).

1. Make sure your computer is connected to the printer via USB cable. You can leave the power cord unplugged for this procedure. OK I CAN DO THIS
    2. Do not connect repetier or any other software system to your printer. WHAT IS REPETIER??
    3. Open the arduino software. HOW DO I DO THIS?
    4. Under tools choose board and then arduino mega 2560. REALLY?? THIS MAY AS WELL BE WRITTEN IN CHINESE!!
    5. Under tools choose serial port and choose the option associated with your printer (will probably be the only option, if not, unplug your printer and see which option goes away). REALLY?? THIS MAY AS WELL BE WRITTEN IN CHINESE!!
    6. Under file, choose sketchbook, and then choose marlin auto level. REALLY?? THIS MAY AS WELL BE WRITTEN IN CHINESE!!
    7. Now hit the upload button in the arduino software. This is the green arrow pointing to the right at the top of the arduino software window. REALLY?? THIS MAY AS WELL BE WRITTEN IN CHINESE!!
    8. When the firmware is finished uploading, the arduino software will say “Done uploading” at the bottom of the window. GREAT, JUST WISH I HAD A DEGREE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE TO UNDERSTAND ANY OF THE STEPS TO GET ME HERE
    Surely there must be a simple step by step guide on how to do this for those users that are not professors in computer engineering. I cant even find a Youtube video or similar anywhere online showing how any of this is done. I cant believe ROBO send out an upgrade kit with not a single written word of how to fit it or how to do the required software update to get the thing operational.

Any help would be much appreciated........please!!!

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is the link once again.

Lead Screw Upgrade Firmware

I already posted it in my other reply and it is linked on that page with the instructions.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might need to seek assistance from someone familiar with using ZIP files for simple operations or (better yet) someone familiar with Arduinos. A local makerspace will help if you have one.

Your best option might be to schedule a one-on-one conference with a Robo tech support person if you need the hands-on help.

We can't do that over a forum:

http://robo3d.com/contact-us/

They can do skype with or without cameras even

Geof likes this.
  14. Chuck Erwin

You may need to schedule a robo3d session. There is support request area to do this.
    Or
    I am not saying this to be sarcastic but you need some nerdy friends.

Mark beat me too it ....

Darren Knott likes this.
  15. Darren Knott

Darren Knott New Member

Hi Mark , thanks for your suggestions. I am in England UK, and have never heard of markerspace (is it some kind of shop)?? I dont know anyone that is familiar with Arduinos (to be honest I dont even know what one is!!).

I am happy to do a long distance phone call to get this sorted out so a chat with a Robo tech will probably be best. I will get in touch and ask for help.

16. Darren Knott

Darren Knott New Member

Thanks for your help Chuck. I am by no means a computer illiterate but anything to do code or firmware updates scares me half to death. I will ask Robo for help but I still cannot believe they have not put a video or idiots guide on how to do this on their site. I cannot be the only person in the world who has no idea how to do it!!

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can also do Skype conferences if that helps (might be cheaper than a phone call).
    A call to schedule one would be a great start.

A makerspace is probably more of a US terminology, but is a place where folks (makers) who love to tinker and build stuff get together :) The support line is available 24x7, but you probably need to schedule an actual conference with a level 2 technician.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah, you DO have some at least ...not sure if handy to you or not:

http://www.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.makerspace.org.uk/

Nice thing about these is you can meet some folks who are perhaps already 3D printing familiar and they can hands-on help you get going and learn the printer. Most of the RepRap style printers are all basically the same

19. Darren Knott

Darren Knott New Member

Right ive booked an appointment with their tech guys for 8pm tomorrow evening, and they will ring me!!!

I will let you know how it goes...still think they need to do an idiots video guide for this, it would save a lot of their time being wasted in the future.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that would be ideal. Bring it up with the tech... maybe he has their ear :)

They do a good job on some videos and other things... they sort of dropped.

Geof likes this.