1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Filament not getting stuck after first layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mamejay, Mar 1, 2016.

1. mamejay

mamejay Member

Hello everyone,
    I have been having a lot of trouble with my Robo 3D R1.
    When I start prints the bottom thin layer starts but then I notice that no more filament is coming out.
    I have cleared and seasoned the hot end. I can get the head hot and then push through the filament no problem.
    Out of say 4 prints I can get one to print. Once it starts it is fine.
    Happens with both PLA and ABS
    I find that when it happens the feeder keeps rolling and then digs a notch in the filament. Not sure if that is just a symptom of the hot end being blocked of if this is the cause of the problem.

Please any advise? Have had the printer for like 2 weeks and have only managed to print a few things.
    BTW I bought it second hand.
    Thanks

2. cdsl810

cdsl810 Member

Loosen the two spring-loaded screws on the filament quick-release a little. If this tension is too high it can put too much pressure on the hobbed bolt and it can start grinding into the filament as it tries to feed. The result is the notch digging that you describe along with feeding issues. Also, make sure that the heater element is secure in the block. You want to make sure all the heat is getting to the tip. There is a possibility that the extruder speed is set too high as well, but this isn't all that likely if you haven't changed the firmware. The last possibility I can think of is that the filament you are using is slightly over-sized and just won't make it through the Hexagon hotend. The Hexagon has tight tolerances and is not very accommodating to fat filiament. Measure the actual size of the filament with calipers and you can rule this out (or find the problem).

3. mamejay

mamejay Member

Thanks for that. I actually noticed the bolt used to feed the filament was very dirty so removed it and cleaned the grooves. So far I have done 2 successful prints with PLA. Will give abs a try and hope for the best.
    BTW if I wanted to replace the nozzle on the stock Robo 3d R1 hot head which should I get? I am in Australia and there are a lot of nozzles but not sure if they are universal.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If they are E3D compatible then they will fit the Hexagon.