1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NinjaFlex filament

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Melody Bliss, Jan 13, 2014.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yea semi flex may have been better, but I have ninja flex here.

And my problem has not been with actually printing it. I actually printed a Mobius Camera Case that was fairly complex with support awhile ago in ninja flex. My problem is always with extruding it. If I can get it to extrude I can print it.

2. Eduardo E Garcia

Eduardo E Garcia New Member

Hey guys, first of all, excuse my English, I'm really excited about the of the world of 3d printing. So I have been working with the robo 3d for almost 8 months or more. I have been peaking here and there to get more knowledge on getting successful prints. Recently I started to print the ninja flex. I went with the brass tubing method and it worked, had to change the settings on matter control to the low speeds such as 20mm/s and the temperature of the nozzle to 245( I know is a bit high). I will be experimenting the coming days.
    https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AA...fXdDb0VZZsyGqrz0w_E?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/2/AA...yEc3xHcBnihzkxL9cHU?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AA...yv0-y_FEomz7caYaY00?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

#202 Eduardo E Garcia, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Those links don't work. Use the Upload a file feature until you have 3 posts then use imgur

4. KTMDirtFace

FYI I put my robo back together. put that tube in it. Negative...it will not feet ninja flex. I don't know what to do now. It acted like it was going to feed it but never did. If it feeds it I can print it.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can't help without knowing how it failed.
    If it is still getting wound around the hobb then the notched hole in the plastic tube is too large or it is feeding too fast (and/or maybe not hot enough)..

6. KTMDirtFace

Hard to see in there what happen'd I'm guessing notched hole may be too big not sure. I'll try again tonight. I was trying to feed it by hand by rolling the wheel.

Edit: Prints started clicking with my tube with normal filament( feed slipping ), so I cut it out..guess it just wasn't working i'll try again another day...maybe. lol

#206 KTMDirtFace, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Well, shucks. I ordered this exact part yesterday and what they shipped had a wall thickness of .04" verses the advertised .085", so my test PLA filament wouldn't fit. They said that the OD has a tolerance of plus or minus 0.004", but this one is WAY off! They couldn't guarantee one that the next they would send would fit, so I'm out of luck on using brass. Rats.

So now I'd like to pursue the Mark Tomlinson plastic tube fix if I can find the correct tube to use. I ripped apart a few pens around the house but didn't find one that worked very well. Double-rats.

8. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

That sucks, they have the wrong part in inventory. ;(

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@robert sanchez Is the ninjaflex S3D profile you posted awhile back in this thread still your current one? If not can you repost please?

10. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

@WheresWaldo yes that was my latest s3d profile. Full disclosure that was the last print I made.

FYI that was pre Volcano, I have not tried it with the volcano yet.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, later I can shoot you the one we used.

13. Zdot

Zdot New Member

This is a very old post but I being a NOOB had the same question because I was getting craters on my top surface layer at every retraction site. I played around with endless print settings for retraction speed and non printing move speeds but the general consensus seems to be that every time you perform a retraction the extruder head stays in the same spot longer than if you did not, and melts your print. Since I'm trying to print masters for mold making, surface quality is of paramount importance. Instead of decreasing the minimum required distance for retraction I increased it to 1000mm, effectively removing the possibility of it ever having to retract given the size of my print. Depending on an endless number of variables this might increase stringing, but for me those are more easily dealt with than craters.

14. Phara0h

Phara0h New Member

you are a genius my friend. Way more helpful than the support I talked too. I wish they sent me here instead of "google.com"

15. shwmks

shwmks New Member

No picturenotruth!

16. Phara0h

Phara0h New Member

These prints were at 5600 mm/min. They hauled butt. 220c, 70c bed and fan 100% on.

[​IMG]
    A little pink from the ink i could not get out of the pen tube haha.

[​IMG]
    see it squishes

[​IMG]
    The tube is from a pink bic pen. Then just stuck it in, and marked where it needed to be cut with the hob bolt. Then I used a knife to whittle one side of it.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. KTMDirtFace

I've given up on ninja flex for now. Gone through a few ptfe tubes where i marked and whittled a slot out for the hobbled bolt. they work for awhile but eventually get all smashed up and ground up from the bearing pushing into them.

Maybe if someone comes up with a ninja flex extruder block I can print and do away with this I'll try ninja flex again. I think Marquis Johnson was working on one.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a PITA to work with and at least for us it has limited uses.
    The SemiFlex is much easier to deal with and still quite flexible.
    Granted we still used the tube for the semiflex, but it is less funky on other settings and can support itself to a greater extent.

Home_user likes this.
  19. KTMDirtFace

Lulzbot provides all their source files and instructions for their flexistruder. I'm downloading all their flexistruder design files now, might print their design out and use it on the robo. From what i have seen it works really good. http://fabsterdam.com/3dprinting/building-a-flexystruder/

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace that looks very interesting. let us know how well it works for you.