1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Can anyone reccomend a slicer that is not S3D?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Fruition_Factory, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Fruition_Factory

I just purchased an R1 that will be here this coming Monday, from what i learned in doing some online research the slicer software that comes with the R1 leaves a lot to be desired and everyone i read says that Simplify 3D is the way to go. For me, I have never spent a dollar on software, and i don't care what it does i am not about to start now. So with that being said, can any of you recommend a better slicer software that is compatible with the R1? It must be free. I do not pirate software either so please do not recommend that.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Slic3r and Cura (older multiprinter version) are probably two of the most versatile ones.

3. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Cura is cool. I only stick with Matter Control because of the untethered printing feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

MatterControl already has the two big dogs in it, Slic3r and Cura Engine. You could conversely use Repetier-Host which uses the same engines just in a different UI.

If you don't want to use Simplify3d, that's fine. Just realize you're going to be wasting a LOT of money on failed prints and unremovable support. So many you should loosen up that shell a bit and change your attitude on software when it comes as a money saving expense.

Seriously Simplify3D is so good I bought it personally after giving up my work license, meaning I bought it twice.

Geof and robert sanchez like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

But the printer cost a decent amount so I'd think you would want to get the most out of it.
    Like Mike says you will certainly be wasting something (time being the biggest one and filament the second).

Some folks needs can be addressed with the free slicers and I always suggest starting with those and upgrading when you outgrow them, but excluding the best because it isn't free is probably not a good idea :)

Geof likes this.
  6. Fruition_Factory

That sucks, i wish i would have found the forum here before my purchase then if all you get is failed prints and unremovable supports without S3D. Sounds like i just wasted a lot of money on another junk printer. There is always E-bay i guess, at least I'll get some of my money back. Its a shame that all the reviews of the R1 are not clear that its a junk machine without S3D. Maybe robo3d should include a license for it with their future printers to justify the premium price over the Chinese knock off's if buying the software is the only thing that separates their print quality.

7. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Fruition, I don't think that is what exactly they are saying. You/I (noob) can good prints from the machine using MC, but S3D makes it easier.

I am actually sold to forking up the buck fifty for the license. My question is can I install on a Mac and a PC using the same license? In other words is the cow concurrent or seat?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Printer works fine :)
    The software that drives it is not written by the hardware makers of the printer in this case.

It also is a lot better than *junk* without S3D, but some things are simply easier done with better software.
    I used it for over a year with Repetier host and it was more than adequate, When functional supports became a major issue I upgraded the software.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can do just fine printing from MatterControl, and should not be viewed as a "Simplify3D or nothing" sort of situation.

Designing parts without the need for support is a great option. You can also modify the support options to be better for the filament you use.

Furthermore, with a bit of elbow grease you can remove the supports on most anything.

It's just not as nice as S3D. Removing the supports from an S3D print is amazingly satisfying. Like removing the plastic film on new electronics.

And $750 is hardly a "premium" for a printer with a 10x8x8" build volume. You'd have even more of a headache with some cheap chinese printer at that scale. You could go smaller and have a better quality printer, but you're sacrificing something to achieve it.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ping their support folks -- you get three (I think) licenses with every purchase (at least as far as how many machines you can install it on).

11. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Nice. Thanks guys.

12. Fruition_Factory

Thanks GAmbrosio, but "failed prints" & "unremovable supports" do not mean the same things as "good prints" in my book. I market the topic as answered and will just list the printer on e-bay over the weekend. It won't be here until Monday, so who knows i could probably sell it before it even arrives. It is a lesson learned and I guess i will have to be even more careful in researching and selecting a printer this next go around.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You're allowed 2 installs per account. So you can have one on Mac and one on PC, but you can't have 2 Pc's and 2 Mac's, etc.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ok Bye. Enjoy spending $500 more to come close to the quality of the Robo at the size.

15. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

You are an early adopter to technology- expect some speed bumps. Failed print means you have a heap of plastic that you can do anything about. Hard to remove supports means you need some "man skills" to get it out. Meaning using carving tools, an Xacto knife, sand paper to get it right. Not a problem. Hell, if I wanted perfect I would have spent double the money and gotten the Nobel SLA...even that's not perfect. It is not like printing from a laser/inkjet printer. I support folks that even today makes that hard.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is a function of the printer AND the slicer. So Robo only controls 1/2 that equation.

I wish they had a bundle with S3D.

17. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

I'm pretty sure had they bundled it, it would be more money

18. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Remember, s3d does give full refunds within 2 weeks of purchase if you don't like it. So if you ever wonder if the money is worth it, buy it, try it, love it or return it. The free alternatives are getting better as well. MC new version has better support structures than before. Cura does a great job for a free product. Software doesn't make the machine. Like said before, it is just part of the equation. Hate to see someone sell something for a lose before they even get it in the door to try, but you must have a reason and that's fine.

19. Fruition_Factory

Yeah, if they ever do in the future and are able to offer a total solution i may purchase one again at that time. I can see why 3D printing has not exploded yet. No company sells a total package for consumers. Some claim to, but when you break the $2k price tag it is no longer a standard consumer product, it is a major purchase much like buying a dirt-bike, or a watercraft.

Good news is, there a a bunch of really smart nerds in the 3d printing hobby, sooner or later one of them will figure out that the company that is going to "win" at the 3d printing game is going to be the one that truly offers a total consumer product at a consumer product price.

I'm aware most of you probably think i'm on a different planet if you read this thread. But the truth is, I'm just a life at face value kind of guy. If i pay a premium to buy a Ferrari over another top brand, what i should get is a working precision machine. If i were to have to buy the car, then go to another company to buy the software that made it drive like a Ferrari is expected to then its really just a crap car with good software. To many i'm sure that sounds insane. But a few will get it.

20. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

So do you buy an ink jet printer and expect it to come with a word processor, graphics studio, and all the other apps you use to print to it? Don't make life hard man. I wish you luck, but wish you would at least try before you throw out what could be a great buy.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.