1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer started making terrible quality prints out of nowhere

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by IDK753, Mar 7, 2016.

1. IDK753

IDK753 New Member

Hello, just recently my Robo 3d r1 started to make terrible quality prints (pics below for comparison)

Before:
    Before.JPG

After: After.JPG

What happened was I was testing out simplify3d when all of the sudden the y axis belt clamp broke, so after taping it back, I tried to print another one using simplify3d. I noticed these squiggly and messy lines start to appear, so I switched over back to Cura (my default program), and tried to print it there, but I got the same result. At this point I'm not really sure as to what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Could you post a picture of what broke? I'm no expert but since your problems started when the y axis belt clamp broke I bet that's causing your issues and not the slicing software

3. IDK753

IDK753 New Member

Got it! I'm not sure exactly what did it, but I set the printer to a lower speed, cleaned the hobbed bolt, and switched pack to the Blue PLA that came with the printer, and the prints are back to high quality. Marking as solved

EDIT (3-10-16) :
    So the "fix" I described above wasn't actually a fix, but a clue to what was wrong. What was actually wrong was that the y axis belt wasn't tight enough, so fast prints would look sloppy because the bed couldn't move fast enough. The lower speed print helped confirm this because the belt doesn't need to be that tight for low speed prints (a slight delay in movement wouldn't affect it much). On the other hand, rapid movements on the y-axis need to be instantaneous, so the belt would need to be tighter. A quick re-adjusting of the belt fixed my problem for sure this time. :D

#3 IDK753, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016