1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Overnight Prints - Tips?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MChrisP1, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MChrisP1

MChrisP1 Member

Ok, so here I am enjoying the R1+ immensely! I have printed 8 things so far. 2 'Marvin' keyfobs, 4 small pieces i designed (2 small funnels and 2 Tile holders) a big calibration circle and a filament oiler. Overall I'm very happy with the quality of my first prints in the 'medium settings' of MC.

But now I want to print some bigger things and that I realize will likely require some "overnight' prints. Like the parts that I want to print for my XXL LCD. So, any tips or things I should be sure to tend to to avoid noob mistakes when it comes to overnight prints? My printer will be running beneath my bedroom, and I don't want to become an unintentional barbecue!

Thanks for reading and any and all tips!

Chris

2. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

Some no brainers....

- Make sure you have more than adequate filament for the print and a good spool setup (no resistance/sturdy)
    - Print from SD card. Don't print over a USB connection. Failure risk is high with USB.
    - Make sure your adhesion technique is good/proven.
    - Make sure your first 1-2 layers go down good.
    - Doesn't hurt to have a good smoke detector in the room

I'm sure I've missed some things but hopefully others will chime in.

MChrisP1 likes this.
  3. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

adding on:
    Most but not all failures happen within the first 3 hours. I am talking about edges lifting, supports falling over ... making a plastic spaghetti mess. If you are using pla add an oilier, help prevent clogs. I try to start long prints at least in that time frame before I go to bed.

It also helps when you get older and have to go to the bathroom a couple times a night.

Ed Zaharis, Trama and MChrisP1 like this.
  4. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

I use OctoPrint, so I check my long prints during the night from my cell phone.

Got another 22hr print going right now. #2 of 3 on the go.

StrongFX and MChrisP1 like this.
  5. MChrisP1

MChrisP1 Member

Hmmm OctoPrint, I've read up on that and it looks like a great upgrade option. I've not worked with anything like raspberry pi before, so that looks like it will eventually be my first rpi experiment. In the meantime I think I'm going to use TeamViewer with my PC and webcam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

It was my first venture with a Raspberry Pi. It's actually very easy to do.

Here is the YouTube video I used for my OctoPrint setup.

MChrisP1 likes this.
  7. MChrisP1

MChrisP1 Member

Thanks I have that video saved, watched it and a few others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Cameras are cheap and if you are going to do unattended an Octoprint board with a couple of USB cameras is also a great idea.
    You don't need that for just over-nighters :)

MChrisP1 likes this.
  10. StrongFX

StrongFX New Member

That sounds awesome!!

11. Bil Forshey

Bil Forshey Member

Check out the FLEKS3D Build Plate system, it solved all of my problems with parts warping off the bed during long prints. That is the #1 problem with failed prints. Cost is not much more than a spool of filament and well worth it with the frustration it will save you and number of failed prints it will prevent. The 10" x 10" unit should fit the R1+

http://www,fleks3d.com

12. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

That Fleks3D board sounds pretty good! May have to give it a try. Anyone else have experience with it?

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I'm not really seeing any advantage that the Fleks3d board offers over a simple sheet of PEI and some clips holding it to the Robo's bed.

Get one of these, trim it to 10" on one side, clip it to the Robo's bed and get back to printing. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013HKZTA

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yeah @daniel871 I am with you on this one. Not seeing a whole lot of extra value for the increased cost of Fleks over PEI sheets. But then again, with so many other better filaments than ABS I have printed two spools of ABS in the 10 months I have owned the Robo and predict that in the next 10 months I might print zero spools.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Primary (maybe only) difference I see between the PEI sheet and Fleks3D is that they (Fleks) have some "special" texture/pattern on the sheet, for material adhesion. From what I read, that's the big selling point anyway. Thoughts? Think PLA or ABS would hold on PEI with a smooth surface (not using glue or hairspray)?

16. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you Google "PEI print surface" you'll see tons of forums discussing how great the material is for PLA and ABS printing with the only bed prep after removing a print being to wipe it every once in a while with rubbing alcohol.

17. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Didn't think of that, but good info. Thanks!