1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Filament stuck

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jdunehew, Mar 11, 2016.

1. jdunehew

jdunehew New Member

Due to a series of unfortunate events I have broken off a piece of filament. I was trying to change filament and when I pulled up it got hung on something (It does this 90% of the time when changing colors for me). I waited until it heated up and then tried to pull it up. Then it got stuck and I couldn't remove it. I grabbed some pliers to get a better hold on it and that's when it broke off. It broke off a few times which is how it got that low. Anyway, how can I get it out now?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

I would simply heat the nozzle and then feed a new piece of filament down pushing the old filament through. I works many times. Dis-assembly of any of he printer is not usually required. Easy steps first.

4. Trama

Trama Member

I agree heat up the hotend a little higher then what you were printing with and just push it through manually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bil Forshey

Bil Forshey Member

Check out this video.

6. Mr Smiley

Mr Smiley New Member

I agree with Ocsff and Trama. You should be able to heat it up and push it through. On a second note. I've found the pushing the filament down into the extruder and then pulling up seems to work well for removing it.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@jdunehew ignore that video. It doesn't apply to your particular hotend ubless you have a very early Robo. Judging from your past messages and you tenure on this site I am going to say you have a newer Robo with a Hexagon hot end.

Lulzbot uses the same hotend and someone on their forums wrote a bit on how to take it apart here is the thread, https://forum.lulzbot.com/viewtopic.php?t=3059

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I swing the quick release tab and drop the hot end out and lay it on the bed. I then heat the extruder with it on the bed and hold the heat sink (cold end) with a 4 inch crescent wrench. I try to push new filament in behind it but if it won't budge I use a 1.5 mm Allen wrench and push. If it's till doesn't budge I use a 16mm wrench on the heater block and a 7 mm wrench on the nozzle and remove the nozzle (while hot) it will come out then. I then use a torch and melt out the filament in the nozzle. Then reassemble. This does take awhile longer then the suggestions everyone else has but it's how I do it. If you do it this way be careful of the thermistor you can (and I did) break the wires. They are crazy delicate.