1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved 1st layer selectively not sticking

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wild8Wire, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

New operator, so still learning the ropes. Just got an R1 Plus. Demo cube prints great, as well as an oiler. I tried printing spool holders, and now feet, and they've all had an issue with certain spots (varying locations) not sticking to the bed. I've tried hairspray and glue stick, but happens either way.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457909535.894464.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457909547.177999.jpg

As you can see, the extruder drags the plastic along and distorts the print. Any suggestions?

PLA
    Extruder temp: 210C
    Bed temp: 50C
    MatterControl (tried MatterSlice and Cura)

2. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

dosent look like much glue i put o nice layer down so it kind bonds the first layer to the print. this does make it hard to take off and you need to rinse off the left over glue but it sticks great. especially little pieces with little supports

3. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Hmmm... I was worried I used too much glue. But only having it a couple of days, I could be wrong. Thanks for the tip! I'll glob some more glue on before next print.

4. Etan15

Etan15 Member

I have had my R1 plus for 2 weeks. I found the most success with Scotch M3 Clear Glue. The the most critical thing I found was the extruder calibration. Since doing that I have had no issues. I also set my bed to 60 or 65 for PLA.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

5. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

I'll give that brand a try. I'm just using what came in the kit.

As for bed temp, I've read some people say go higher, others say lower; I'll give the higher temp a try.

Extruder calibration, don't think I've done it, so will have to check into that.

Thanks for the tips!

6. Etan15

Etan15 Member

There is a video in the forums that walks you through the extruder calibration. You basically mark the filament at 150mm then extrude 100mm then measure your mark and calculate what actually was extruded. Then you calculate a value the you have to put into the gcode terminal. When I did my calibration it was 12mm off. So my machine thought it sent 100mm when it actually only sent 88mm.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

7. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Definitely a must do. Thanks!