1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered *READ ME* My ROBO doesn't auto level correctly!? FAQ

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben R, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Dig

Tom Dig New Member

I understand “home the head”, mine homes with no issues.
    What is your definition of calipers? My calipers would be useless to do anything with this process. I have a Mitutouo digital 8” caliper.
    Hold one side of what? Turn the other what? I assume you mean the Z axis lead screws?
    “Lower the x until resting . . .” ???? X does not go up or down.
    Maybe what I did is the same thing?
    I raised Z until I could get a narrow steel spacer under the carriage guides.
    With X centered, I place the spacer under one of the guides and lowered Z until contact.
    Moved to other side and repeat.
    Repeat both sides until level.

Question: How high should Z be on first layer? In other words What is optimum gap between extruder nozzle and bed? This would be super simple to measure with feeler gauge.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Z0, should be exact location of your extruder tip just touching the glass bed.

Howard570 likes this.
  3. Tom Dig

Tom Dig New Member

Well . . . .
    Now I seem to have the X travel leveled and the 9-point level system running but it is not leveling in the Y-axis.
    The 0 side of the Y axis is higher than the 220 side.
    In other words: This extruder is closer to the bed at Y0 than at Y220.
    If I set the Z offset at 1mm then it is about right at Y60 but too far away at Y180.
    How do I resolve that?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

With manual leveling you simply shim the base mounts.
    With autoleveling... it should figure that out on its own.

5. Tom Dig

Tom Dig New Member

Right, auto leveling should but it does not hence my question: How do I resolve that?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is doing the 9 point leveling it will still not get the extremes (the 9 points are not at max travel).
    It will do the best it can.

If you really are that far off then you might consider some manual leveling

7. Tom Dig

Tom Dig New Member

Just manually checked Y axis and it is off by 0.2 mm from about Y30 to Y220 (X centered). This was kind of a crude measurement, going to do a more accurate check tomorrow and get all 4 corner points.
    So . . . why doesn't the auto level make corrections if only off by 0.2 mm??

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is making a model of the bed via the 9 points and then mathematically constructing a flat plane through there to use as offset points throughout the print. It depends on where the actual; variances are and their extent. Perhaps the bed is not flat and has other variations across the glass (not unusual).

If that amount of variance is really an issue then you might want to consider manually leveling the bed as best you can first. This gives the printer less variance to 'fix'.

I don't have an autoleveler to mess with since I have a BETA not an R1*, but I have mine leveled (manually) to well within 0.1 stop to stop X and Y. There are some high/ow spots on my glass, but they are well within that tolerance.There is some tolerance that will have to be accepted given the construction of this printer.

*I have worked with a couple of folks who have R1 units so I know how they work, manual leveling is still a really good idea if you need tight tolerances.

9. Bushwookie

Bushwookie New Member

I have had my printer for 8 months now, and it recently started printing above the print bed by about 5mm or so.

I am running an R1 using Mattercontrol.
    I have tried the steps detailed on the first post in this thread, and neither seems to work. I don't think its a hardware issue, because Ive gotten both limit switches to click properly. I believe it is a software issue. Regardless of what I set my M565 setting to, it seemingly ignores that value and prints at the same height every time (well above the print bed). Odd enough, homing it returns it to the top right corner and at a seemingly proper height above the print bed. It is almost as if the printer is saying "alright, auto-level looks good, print bed is level, better print a couple millimeters off the bed".

Any suggestions?

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do a paper leveling of your X axis.

11. John Randall

John Randall New Member

You might have a mechanical problem. I had a similar problem & found that my frame rails ( the rods the extruder is on ) were misaligned. When I reassembled it after arranging wiring, I didn't have the rods completely snapped in on one corner. Snapped it in fully & problem solved. Had me puzzled for a while till I doubled checked my assembly.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The "three point" auto bed leveling is MatterControl, not your printer.
    The printer autoleveling is 9 points.

You need to disable auto leveling in MatterControl and configure the startup GCode so the printer does the leveling.

13. John Randall

John Randall New Member

You might have a mechanical problem. I had a similar problem & found that my frame rails ( the rods the extruder is on ) were misaligned. When I reassembled it after arranging wiring, I didn't have the rods completely snapped in on one corner. Snapped it in fully & problem solved. Had me puzzled for a while till I doubled checked my assembly.

14. Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith Member

Total Newbie here, don't assume I know ANYTHING!

I got my Robo 3d v1 and was having jamming issues. It was suggested to upgrade to the E3d v6 which I have. Everything seems to work, but when it tries to auto level, it just keeps going up and up at each of the 9 points. I have verified that the two wires on each x(?) endstop are connected and that the carriage isn't lifted up on either side so it should be engaged (see first pic below). I have also verified that the x, y, z wires are connected to the adrino. HOWEVER, these could be out of order (picture 2 below)? don't think so, but again, total newbie. In Mater Control, when I press Y+ it moves the bed towards me. When I press X+ it moves right. When I press Z+ it moves up.

Is there a way I can test each endstop individually to see if I have them on the right pins? Like a command? Like type G## and if wired correctly it should do.... Or can anyone assist?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Send and M119 in the console and it will report the status of the endstops (triggered means 'at home position')

16. Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith Member

x_min: open
    y_min: TRIGGERED
    z_min: TRIGGERED

I reversed those two wires and now all 3 show open.

Now when it auto levels, the left and the middle touch the bed, but the right stays oh, 5mm off the bed. when it tries to print, it is printing in the air.

#136 Arthur Smith, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  17. Waran Karp

Waran Karp New Member

I have a quick question. I only have one problem with autoleveling. My bed is tilted about the y axis. I highly doubt if this is because of those leveling switches not at a proper level with each other.

These are my G29 values:
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 20.00 z: -1.06
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 20.00 z: -1.14
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 20.00 z: -1.54
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 125.00 z: -1.64
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 125.00 z: -1.10
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 125.00 z: -1.04
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.51
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.65
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 230.00 z: -1.22
    RECEIVED: Eqn coefficients: a: -0.00 b: 0.00 d: -1.02
    RECEIVED: planeNormal x: 0.00 y: -0.00 z: 1.00

Even having a crooked bed like this, I only get misalignment about the central Y axis.

Any idea how to fix this ?

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Switches being out of position would usually affect the X more than the Y. Make sure the mounts for the rods that the bed sits on are not loose. Lift the bed and try to wiggle them.

19. Waran Karp

Waran Karp New Member

I tried that and the mount seems ok. It is definitely not loose. Should I tighten the screws on bearing housing ?

But the bed itself is not so rigid to be honest. I was not able to completely remove the bed as the HBP wire is constricting this movement.

End to end I have about 1mm offset which makes it impossible to print large objects.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, are the magnets mounted flush? Sometimes they don't snap in all the way.
    If they are mounting flush you can use some paper to shim one end and level it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.