1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Robo 3D R1 Level on Some parts of the bed?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Element18592, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Element18592

Element18592 New Member

So the auto level isnt functioning properly, im on the latest firmware for my r1 and have been using it for nearly 8 or so months now, ive been having great success with it, but up until about 6 or so prints ago the autolevel hasnt really been working properly, i havent changed any of my S3D settings from what i normally print at, nothing in the firmware, or any hardware modifications to throw it off. Below is a video to show exactly what its doing. Thanks for taking the time to watch and read and for any advice.

IMG_7035.JPG Example of a print.

2. Trama

Trama Member

Is your X axis level to the bed. That's the first thing I check when I start having that problem. Doesn't matter if t runs auto level or not if it is off even half a millimeter it will do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Also check the Z switches and make sure one didn't get moved out of position.
    Both the left and right ones on the crossbar should be positioned the same.

4. Element18592

Element18592 New Member

X axis level as far as i can tell by eye. I thought the autolevel was supposed to compensate even if it was off a bit?

Both switches are in the same position and pressed.

5. Trama

Trama Member

The auto level deals with the bed tilt if indeed there is one and how it compensates the z height. But if the X axis isn't parallel to the bed then it may not strike the limit switches properly when it does the 9 point probe. Also it means that the X axis is going to move along the z height unevenly. I would get a small 6 inch ruler or something similar with either millimeter markings or 1/32" markings and measure the furthest left and right points of the X rails to the bed(with Thebes either all the way forward or back, doesn't matter as long as it is in the same plane on the y axis) then manually turn one of the z rods until it is even. This is something I find that you need to do occasionally especially if your messing around with hot end or fan shrouds.

6. Element18592

Element18592 New Member

I just used my callipers and both ends were nearly perfectly even i only had to make a small hair adjustment to one of the rods to get it where i wanted it but after running a test print it still does the same as in the video.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try increasing the Z offset setting a bit.

8. Trama

Trama Member

It is do the 9 point probe before the print correct?

9. Bil Forshey

Bil Forshey Member

Check to see how many magnets are on the Y axis rails that attach the removable heated bed glass. If you have 2 magnets on the front and only 1 in the center of the back rail the bed will get an incorrect value in the rear corners during auto level. The fix is to add a set of 2 10mm x 3mm round magnets (available on ebay) in the unfilled holes on the Y axis front and back plastic cross bars. I just glue them in the holes with some superglue and don't bother attaching them to the bed glass. Alternatively you can shim the rear corners with something thick enough to prevent the bed from tipping.

Hope this helps.

10. Element18592

Element18592 New Member

Thats actually one of the first things i did, i forgot to mention it in the original post. When i increased it, it allowed it to print yes, but it was thicker in the front and thinner in the back, not very consistent. I notice how when the bed moves the extruder rubs the bed towards the bottom left then it appears as if the extruders lifts as it moves to the right and back. Obviously its not lifting but the bed rather is a bit off, which is why i assumed the autolevel would compensate. it also seems as if when the auto level routine is going that the bed is being pushed down more in the back vs in the front you dont really see the bed push down too far.
    Sadly that's not my issue, i have 4 in the front and 4 in the back.

11. Element18592

Element18592 New Member

Not sure what happened but i printed something today and it came out perfect. I literally did nothing different than i have been doing. Its even the same gcode file i used previously. Strange but at least its working for now.

12. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

You probably had one of the magnets setting up a little. Always move the bed around when replacing it on the rails. The magnets often are off just a a little and need a little nudge to seat all the way. They are glued on by hand and not an exact science. This would explain your fix after checking how many magnets you had.

Kevin Robo 3D and WheresWaldo like this.
  13. Element18592

Element18592 New Member

Just to clarify, that wasn't the fix, and this random fix came a few bad prints after the next day. So it's not like I checked my magnet count, then the very next print was a success. I still am unaware of what it was but i always check to make sure the magnets are seated properly when i remove the bed for any reason.

#13 Element18592, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  14. BR3M3RB

BR3M3RB New Member

Hello there everyone. I'm having a similar problem. The extruder would not extrude filament for the first 2 or 3 layers on the left side of the bed. After the 3th layer I can see how the filament comes out and everything seems to work fine. The problem is in the first layers.

Previously the limit switch from the left side of the printer (z axis) came off with the whole part that holds it to the rod. I'm not sure what the cause for that was, but I placed it back into position checking that both sides were at the same distance from the bed and perhaps it might be a little difference between both. Is it likeley that this is the problem?

I have never disassembled the bed nor know where the magnets are. I would appreciate some advice on how to check the magnets are in the right position.

Attached Files:

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can lift the bed to see the magnets. Have the extruded raised so you can lift the bed high enough to look. Then lower they should fit into their holes in the bed mounts

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had to shim my bed after I checked it with an indicator. Bi used adhesive metal shims. @WheresWaldo had a awesome idea of a hole punch and a household item, I can't recall exactly what he used but it was pretty smart and something I had laying around that I would have never thought to use

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Self adhesive shelf liner, available at all thrift stores or big box stores like Walmart.

Geof likes this.