1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Sealing extruder/heating element?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RokleM, Mar 14, 2016.

1. RokleM

RokleM Member

All, got my robo3d out of storage as it's been a while and have time to mess with it again. I had a few prints go well, then started having major problems with the unit. Long story cut short, I found that tons of filament had been seeping out and had filled the plastic surround on the heating element. I threw that away, cleaned things out very well, and tightened everything up. What I've found now, even though the fit is tight and if I crank any harder I will strip or break something, I still have filament seeping out of the hole at a rate of maybe a 8-8mm circle in less than 60 minutes. As a result, i can't print anything but very short bursts, and I have to clean the top of the heating element as it's heating up for the next job.

As well, I have the 2560 code set on my 8mm in the firmware, but my 1.5mm prints are about 20% short when using simplify3d stock settings. That could however be a results of my leakage issues.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@RokleM I am going to be very blunt about this so take no offense. The nozzle was put on incorrectly. If any filament leaks from anywhere on the aluminum heater block, either top or bottom, it was assembled incorrectly. Its that simple. The key to leak free hotend is that the nozzle must be tightened against the heatbreak and not the aluminum heater block. If you screw the nozzle all the way into the rectangular heater block you will never be able to get it tight enough to the heatbreak to prevent leaking.

The easiest way to get this to work correctly is to screw the heatbreak into the aluminum block all the way or at least until all the threads are hidden, then insert the nozzle and tighten it. It will not thread in all the way leaving a thread or two exposed on the bottom. That is as intended, you warm up the hotend and can then tighten the nozzle up against the bottom of the heatbreak. If you don't do it while it is hot, you will not get it tight enough. There are plenty of YouTube video that explain and demonstrate this if you search for them.

3. RokleM

RokleM Member

Actually Robo3d recommended using high temp sealant.

I have a good 4.5mm wrench and am grabbing the hot end with a pair of vice grips to the point if I turn any more I'm worried about it breaking. I've torn it down and cleaned it extensively multiple times, including cleaning while it is hot, so no residue.

I have however not done it while hot, so will look up those videos.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

High temp sealant?

New one to me.

The nozzle has to butt up to the heat break which has to be snugged into the heatsink.
    Otherwise it will leak. With that done correctly (and tightened hot) it will not leak filament.

5. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

I agree with Mark.

6. RokleM

RokleM Member

Assembling while hot did indeed fix the issue, thanks.

mark tomlinson likes this.