1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Printer starts of printing too high every time

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NutsnBolts, Mar 21, 2016.

1. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts New Member

How come every time after going through what appears to be a good printer calibration (pre print) that the printer then adjusts itself up a bit and begins to print too high. I then have to quickly pause the print job and manually turn the head down towards the table and start the print job again. I thought the whole purpose of going through the self leveling calibration before the print job was to set everything right. Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is the small matter of getting the initial Z offset correct.
    The autoleveling logic needs that done as well.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts New Member

Thanks. But I have seen those before and they do nothing to fix my problem. What steps do I need to take to get this thing leveled correctly? The table is sitting perfect on the switches and the head is level. I just don't get why it would go through leveling process then back off about 1/2" and begin printing in the air.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One or more of your Z axis switches is mispositioned and triggering incorrectly (as discussed in the video) and likely the initial Z offset is not correctly specified in the startup GCode.

The two switches tell the printer when the extruder is 'home' (on the bed) and if one misfires (because it is not in the correct position -- and shipping often causes that) then it will never work.
    It is easy to manually position the switches back to where they belong (as discussed in the video).

If that is not the case then the initial Z offset is not set correctly.