1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Refurbished R1 model sale. Good or Bad idea?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Acclamator777, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Acclamator777

Acclamator777 New Member

Hello,
    Been wanting to get into 3D printing for a number of years but finances would not allow it. Recently, I was very serious about purchasing a Dremel 3D printer until I stumbled upon the ROBO 3D printer about a week ago. I watched a number of videos on youtube and I am very impressed with what I've seen. I am now seriously thinking about getting the R1 PLUS insteasd of the Dremel. But I see that there is a sale on refurbished R1 models available for a short time. I beleive I could do the upgrades to it. So my question is, would it be wise to purchase a PLUS model or get the refurbished model and do all the add on upgrades to it? This would be my first printer and it would be a good learning experience.to finally get myself into the world of 3D printing.

Thanks

2. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

As a new Robo owner (two weeks) i would say to go for it the upgrades are easy to print and at the huge savings you can upgrade to a LCD board and E3 V6 and still be money ahead. I love my Robo and with it being my first printer it is easy to troubleshoot and operate it is a great buy at any price

3. Acclamator777

Acclamator777 New Member

Thanks for responding Cuda70. Yes, very tempting. Will admt, a little scared! Have looked at alot of printers over the past couple of years. Came very close in purchasing certain models, most recently the Dremel, but the price on some printers were a little steep. $499 for a refurbished R1 model is still a good chunk of change, but then again very reasonable though. Will think about it over night. Again, thanks for your input.

4. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

What are the upgrades from R1 to R1+? other than lead screws? ( $100 ). I have an R1. with the lead screw mod.. i almost bought one of the R1 refurb ones yesterday at that price.

5. Quest

Quest Member

You can use this link to get a code for 5% off.
    http://robo3d.refr.cc/SVL4XWL

6. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

Also if you have any problems the guys on the tech line are great Also check out Novice Experts videos on YouTube this guy is great

These are the upgrade links
    Important Links:
    Spool Holder: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:216117
    Oiler: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:713759
    Printer Feet: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:217346
    Z Stabilizer: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:216300
    Fan Duct: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:697200
    E3D v6 Hotend: http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6
    X Carriage/Wire Chain: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:696183
    Filament Quick Change:
    Herringbone Gears:
    RGB LEDs:
    Leadscrew Upgrade:
    Perfect Upgrades Ver 1:

robert sanchez likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If they upgrades all the refurbished ones with current parts, you won't need the lead screw upgrade as it is already done, nor will you need the Z axis stabilizers as they are sort of built into the top of the case. The rest of the stuff are just nice to have's not necessary to get good prints.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Judging by the video it looked like the standard r1 with the couplers. If indeed they did have the leadscrew already that's a hell of a deal

9. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I never had a problem with the R1 and couplers.

I bought the leadscrew upgrade for the hell of it.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the biggest complaint was z banding which is why they went with leadscrew. No experience with them first hand

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

One of my Robos had Z banding in an obvious way and the other (same generation) did not.
    I did the leadscrew upgrade on the obvious one and both give me very nice prints :)

@Ziggy dug into this in gory detail over a few threads.

Geof likes this.
  12. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I bought a refurb R1 that they were selling on ebay. It has been good to me. You still get a warranty at least mine did.
    I have had only minor issues that was just a matter of some adjustments. Mine had some upgrades but not the lead screw, that was back in the fall of last year. I don't have an issue with banding though.

Geof likes this.
  13. ProfessorPinky

The product page for the refurbished sale that ends March 22, 2016 says R1 +plus under the blue section that list what you get. Hopefully that isn't there to get buyers to purchase and then send a non +plus unit. I purchased one yesterday so I have not received it yet of course.
    WHAT DO YOU GET?
    • R1 +PLUS ROBO 3D PRINTER
    I ordered

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The refurb sale on their main page is the r1 original (I'm guessing r1 not beta) for 499.99. i believe that is what the op was looking at

15. ProfessorPinky

That is the same one that I am looking at. It says
    WHAT DO YOU GET?
    R1 +PLUS ROBO 3D PRINTER

TOOL KIT

ROBO 3D SOFTWARE

24 7 CUSTOMER SUPPORT

300G ROBO PLA BLUE FILAMENT

20 PRE-LOADED 3D MODELS!

30 DAY WARRANTY

All R1 Refurbished 3D printers includes a 30 day warranty for exchange for replacement or store credit.

QUICK START VIDEO & INSTRUCTIONS

POWER USB CABLES

MICRO USB & MICRO SD CARD

LARGE BUILD VOLUME

16. ProfessorPinky

It also says on the shop page for 3D printers where you can select new, refurbished, or new with matter control hardware The R1 3D Printer has been fully upgraded. It is now called the R1 +Plus

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol that is to funny they can't even get their models right lol. The r1 orig was with couplers and smooth rods that don't go all the way up. The plus has rods all the way up and integrated lead screws.

r1+ is a great deal at 499

18. ProfessorPinky

I ordered the refurbished because it said it was the R1 +Plus. Hopefully that is the case because I really don't want to go through the process of returning.
    I wouldn't think something would be sold knowingly faulty.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Might be worth a call to verify. Even if it's an r1 it's a good printer and the forum members are very familiar or own them.

20. ProfessorPinky

I sent a contact us question via robo3d page yesterday morning with some questions and have yet to get a response other than the automatic we have received your question email. I wrote to them yesterday afternoon attaching a screenshot and that I placed an order based off of that. I just received my shipping notice a few minutes ago and expected delivery is tomorrow, Wednesday March 23. It will be late to help any with the current same but I will try to remember to post what I received.