1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Full Graphics LCD Controller - blank screen

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jhenager1, Mar 21, 2016.

1. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

I've done everything I can think of, and did get the sketches to compile, but still have a blue screen but no text.
    Checked to make sure I have EXP1 going to EXP1 on the RAMPS board. I have not messed with the contrast adjustment.
    I'd really like to use this controller. Can anyone suggest some troubleshooting steps to try?
    This is an R1 dated 14 02 purchased in January 2015. Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then you already know my next suggestion.
    They invariably come with it cranked all the way up

3. jonnyb44

jonnyb44 Member

I had to use an older version of the u8glib file to get mine working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

I turned it both directions and it did not change the display, but I appreciate the effort.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The 'middle' (rather than either end) is really the best spot.

Then make sure you have correctly loaded the firmware with it enabled and the correct additional library (ug8lib) included when you recompiled the firmware.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you did not modify the firmware and re-upload it to your printer you will get a blank screen. Marlin firmware by default, will only enable the 20 character x 4 line display and the larger XXL version of the same. For the full graphics you would be required to make a couple of edits to Configuration.h and recompile and upload the firmware.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

From their wiki:

In "Configuration.h”

1. Change “#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER” (just remove the // at the beginning)
    ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/u8glib

Upload the firmware, power off the Arduino*, connect the panel, reapply power, and everything should work.

*this means unplugging the USB cable from the computer as well since the Arduino powers off of that.

8. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

I've done all that without success. I returned the contrast adjustment back to the middle where it originally was. Also commented out the other controller above the Full Graphic controller. Out of ideas.

9. jonnyb44

jonnyb44 Member

Didn't work for me first time either. I had to delete the firmware files. Re download the firmware and install an older version of u8glib. Also make sure u tell arduino to include the u8glib library or it won't work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good point. Getting that library included with the compiler is the key.

Of course it is always possible that the LCD screen is defective, but that is not a normal thing as they are pretty sturdy.

11. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have one that will randomly start displaying garbled Chinese characters ( I assume but I dont know ). I quit using that one and went with the XXL from printed solid and no firmware changes and no issues. Although it is now removed too for octopi/print

#11 KTMDirtFace, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Probably a cable picking up 'noise' from the other electronics. Those ribbon cables are not shielded.
    Every once in a while mine will do that. Rebooting the Arduino usually restores it.

13. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

Is there a process write up to get the Graphic LCD working? I see above many comments on updating the firmware but then I see on the firmware page to NOT update it if on an R1+ (which I am). Anyone have some suggestions or a guide? I have installed the RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller and have the blank screen. Contrast is fine and nothing changes when going from min to max. Just a screen of squares that get darker/lighter.

14. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

Also, I am new to Arduino modification so I've just downloaded the Arduino app and put the u8glib folder in my Library folder on my Mac. Next steps are what I'm looking for. :) How does one get the current firmware from the Arduino on the R1+ to make updates and changes w/o updating/upgrading it?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The warning about the R1+ was simply because there are so many different (poorly labeled) versions of the firmware out there and no functional changes released from Robo3D.

If you want to use the Full Graphics LCD you need to make edits described in this thread (and other threads) and upload it.

// ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib (u8glib.lib) to your ARDUINO library folder: http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/u8glib
    //#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

uncomment that line:

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

Note: make sure the line

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

is commented out :

//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

Do like the comment says and include that library into the project in the Arduino IDE.

Compiling the firmware and uploading is documented on the firmware page (where you saw the warning about the R1+)

16. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Scifideity likes this.
  18. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

Awesome. Thanks so much.

19. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

Ok, finally got time to give this a shot and am having Compile issues. This look familiar to anyone?

In file included from sketch/dogm_lcd_implementation.h:38:0,
    from sketch/ultralcd.cpp:36:
    sketch/dogm_font_data_marlin.h:12:25: fatal error: utility/u8g.h: No such file or directory
    #include <utility/u8g.h>
    ^
    compilation terminated.
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

It's reading like I'm missing stuff but I've done everything in this video from another thread

I'm going to keep digging and trying to figure it out but any suggestions or wisdom that would speed things up would be greatly appreciated. :)

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member