1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Power mystery

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by charles Page, Mar 23, 2016.

1. charles Page

charles Page New Member

Hey guys. So I got my printers (I bought 2 of the r1+ for my classroom)mid december and have been printing non stop. I'm using simplify 3d and recent rebuild (board, power supply etc) of #1 I started having problems with #2 yesterday. The printer would stopped mid print. After I got over the surprise I restarted the print. This time it got three and a half hours into the print and quit. The lights went out, the stepper motors stopped working and when I used the jog controls in s3d it would only run one of the z axis motors. After a few minutes it came back on line. This morning I replaced the power supply (had an extra that I purchased after the last rebuild). When I turn on the extruder heater the lights dim, when I turn on the bed heater the lights dim further. Started a print, after a few minutes the lights went out and the x axis stepper motors started jerking back and forth (not much <1mm) when their path should have been straight. I read about a fuse but if the fuse is blown in the power inlet wouldn't that mean that the heaters etc wouldn't power up at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

edit to add: it also took a very long (10 minutes or so) to heat up the bed.

Edit to add: I pulled the fuse and everything seems fine. no breaks and ohms out.

#1 charles Page, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. charles Page

charles Page New Member

Well, I feel like a dummy. The new power supply was not on 110v. I switched it and am powering up now. Seems to have fixed the issues. I will update when we complete the print.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That would make things behave unexpectedly :)

4. charles Page

charles Page New Member

Well, no luck. I did complete a 5 hour print but during another print last night and one this morning the issue came back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So, to be clear, when it stops what are the symptoms (light dim, motors stop, etc.)?
    What is in the GCode console (specifically errors)?

6. charles Page

charles Page New Member

Yes, lights go out, motors start jerking (the x axis specifically), in the communication screen on s3d it says that there was an error and to use m999 to restart. I'm not sure how to look at the gcode that is running the printer outside of the communication screen.

7. It sounds like the fan under the printer for the electronic board might not be working or is not plugged in properly.

8. charles Page

charles Page New Member

So it may be overheating? Hmmm. Ill check it. Thanks!

9. Yes, if it is not that then you may need a new power supply.
    Yes, if it is not that then you may need a new power supply.

10. charles Page

charles Page New Member

Awesome. I just installed a new power supply and that seemed to help. I'll check the fan. Thank you!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

The fan connector on the bottom fan isn't keyed, so it's possible to plug it in backwards. It'll still spin just fine, but the air will be blowing in the wrong direction so it will not cool the electronics properly. I made that mistake once and had strange, intermittent issues.

Before you button it all back up, make sure that the fan is pulling air in from the outside and blowing in.