1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Simplify 3D and other problems with R1+

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TKCC71, Mar 24, 2016.

1. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

I've had my Robo 3DR1+ for about a week now, fairly new to 3d printing and purchased simplify3d. I used it a few times and it worked great. However after a little tinkering I think I messed something up and not sure what it is. I purchased PLA filament from Micro Center (Inland brand). The package states 220-260 however the Microcenter website says 195-220? Ive read in a few other froums that this brand needs a slightly higher temp?

Here are the few questions/issues.

1. Looking for the recommend temps (Bed and extruder) for this brand PLA

1. I have a file I'm printing and works in Matter control but been getting curling on my bed and wake up to a squiggly mess. I used a glue stick on the build platform and bed was set at 60 with the extruder temp at 235?

2. Would prefer to use Simplify for this print, but when I try and print with simplify it just curls out of the extruder and dosent touch the bed. How and where do I need to go to fix this problem? I think I may of changed a setting that may of caused this. In my machine control panel next to emergency stop has the position readout at x 132 y 132 and z at 4511.50? does that look correct?

#1 TKCC71, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Never used that brand, but can't think of any PLA that isn't filled needing much more than 200 to print. I print at 200C extruder and 50C bed. I've tried higher temps and get curling and funky results on prints. I'd start at the cool side and see how it is printing. You can always adjust up or even down as needed until you get the results you want. I wouldn't go much lower than 195C though. Actually, there is a safeguard in the firmware that prevents extrusion under a certain temp.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Put your Z offset (M565 command) in the startup GCode here (I don't have much in the screenshot, but you see where it goes):

startup Gcode.jpg

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Thanks I will give it a shot when I get home. Will see how this works out.

6. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

1. I've discovered that with the PLA I've used, Hatchbox, eSun, and 3D Solutech, any higher than 190-193 it strings, lower is not advised as it triggers the cold extrusion alarm wig S3D. I leave the bed at 60 with PLA. Squiggly mess, I'm guessing a lump of stringy plastic with some deformed chunks of more plastic? Too hot and too fast. Dial the extruder temp back to 190 or if the site said 195, then 195 and adjust from there. If it continues with the tangled mess, then pump the brakes on your speed. I know that S3D has the default set for 60mm/s. This is fine for basic shapes, once it starts getting complicated, turns, curves, etc, u need to dial it down to 50 or even 45-30.

2.Sounds like to have the Default profile setting. That one does not included the auto level and it likely why it prints too high. The printer did not do the 9point auto level right? Drop the profile selection down until you see the Robo 3D. If it is not there go to Help and add the printer again and then change the profile. I hope the helps- from one noob to another. GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Thanks guys. That gcode solved the issue.

As far as the temp goes and the printing issue. Total user error. I went to micro center and what I thought was PLA was actually ABS. The sign said PLA but box said ABS when I looked at it closer. So now I have another issue. Hobb bolt not pulling my material through and material jamming in the extruder. Pulled the bolt out 5 times last night and cleaned it off. Pulled extruder off 5 times and cleaned it out. Even was able to push the material through the extruder by hand while at temp and everything was good. As soon as I go to print it stopped pulling again. The material jams in the extruder every time. I have a appointment with tech support today.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member