1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved feeder chews filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sean Carson, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

The feeder on my R1+ has a tendency to chew filament. It's been the leading cause of bad prints from day one. The notched bolt carves the side of the filament until theres not enough to grab anymore. What am I missing?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Wild8Wire

Wild8Wire Member

Try adjusting the two screws on the back of the feeder assembly (sorry, don't know the technical terms yet). They provide tension (via the springs) to the plastic piece that pushes the filament toward the metal feeder.

Sounds like they're too tight, so try backing them off a bit.

4. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Nope. ABS and PETG.
    Will do. I'll try that when I get home.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is odd. I'd suggest calibrate the extruder as well and sanity check your temperatures.

I have never had that happen with either of those materials, but perhaps if it is trying to over extrude....

The chewing through happens when the filament is hard to push and starts wanting to back up. For example, if it is having a hard time pushing it out and through the nozzle

You might also want to consider removing and checking the nozzle for blockage or just trying another. Just trying to come up with things that could contribute to that :)

6. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

If I were to replace the nozzle, would a pico nozzle fit? I have a deadline for this print and not enough time to order a new nozzle.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You need an hexagon compatible one (most 'generic' nozzles are that type which is why all E3D compatible nozzles fit as well).
    Good luck with the deadline since presumably this is stopping you from progressing at all.
    You can 'try' slowing down the print speeds (which will slow down how fast it needs to extrude) but that is clearly not a solution.

Digging around... over here :

http://www.intservo.com/blogs/news/48859011-esun-petg-q-a

they suggest "printing slower than you would with PLA. 50-60 mm/s should do it"

So that may help.

8. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

It seems it is actually underextruding. I corrected the filament thickness (1.68-1.7, thereabouts), I think I have zeroed in on the proper Z-axis offset, and I've quite a bit of progress in a print before it died on me again. I have one of the bolts removed now, since that time, there were on as loose as they would go.

Start placing your bets.

9. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Nope, it's still grinding away at the filament. There are bite marks all along the side of the filament that I pull out too.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I gave up on temperature being the problem at 260. The feeder bites into the filament so severely, there are lines that get skipped. Eventually, it gives up and I see a chewed up mess in there.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then you have a nozzle/extruder clog. Really that is about all that is left. A small one will be deadly if it is in the heatbreak.

13. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I removed the teflon tube I inserted to fix the PETG jamming. It's the only idea I have left. If this works, I'm not sure how I'll be able to use up all that PETG I have.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One last possibility is what I call a bum spool. You can get filament that misbehaves, but it is uncommon. I still want to mention it...
    Since in your case I think you said it is across spools that is unlikely.

15. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Nothing. It happened again.

16. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I have cleaner filament I have run through whenever I change to a different temperature spool. How can I use that to clean out this head? Is there a preferred method with the robo hex head or just melt it, let it set, and yank it?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is pretty much it. It is not hard to use.

An E3D I'd suggest a tear down and bake (break it into the component sections, cold-end, heat break, heater block, nozzle) with no electrical bits in there and torch it or bake it. The all metal bits can handle it and if there is something occluding the heat break or nozzle then you can bake it away. Further if you inspect the components and see an flaw you can just replace that part (for example just the heat break can be replaced).

I can't say if that is even an option with the Hexagon.

Something is failing in the extruder.

18. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

aaaand I just ripped out a thermistor wire.

Since I'm already struggling with the extruder, should I just upgrade to the V6?

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your call. I did that to two of mine and a couple for other folks and I can highly recommend them.
    I like the quality and flexibility of the E3D, but not enough to say 'go for it' if you don't have a reason.

I am thinking you have a reason :) That extruder is misbehaving.

I would also suggest that while you are in there upgrade to the MetalStud thermistor. Much sturdier than a regular one and same thermistor firmware type as stock (so no need to reflash for that).

Geof and KTMDirtFace like this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had 3 hexagons because I couldn't be down.... Now i have 1 e3dv6 and can service the hot end. That was enough of a reason for me, that and 4 spools of filament that measured1.77-1.81 that caused jamming issues on the hexagons.

Like @mark tomlinson only you can decide to spend the money but I also highly recommend. I don't have the stud thermistor but it will be in my next printed solid order as well as a few hardened nozzles of various size. All good things to have