1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Need Help Solving X axis problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by akumazedex, Mar 26, 2016.

1. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

I just got the Robo R1 plus the other day and have not been able to produce a single print yet.
    Here's the problem, after the first layer is done, the X axis gets shifted significantly to the side. I have tried using different designs with the same effect. I am completely new to the 3D printing world so my knowledge is very limited so far. I've done the basic checks (Belt tension, gear tight, rails lubed, etc) and cant figure out the problem. I slowed down the print speed significantly from what is set default hoping it would help/cure it with no change. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear some input.
    I have attached an example of the dog tag that comes bundled with the software.
    As you can see, the initial shift is small and gets worse from there up until the extruder runs all the way to the side and I cancel the print.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well that is a loose drive component.

A belt is loose
    -or-
    a drive cog on the motor for that belt is loose
    -or-
    something is mechanically getting in the way and blocking the travel.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is possible (but rare) that this could be a bad stepper driver or bad stepper*, but the loose drive you can fix yourself so I would really validate all of that first.

:)

*that is a fairly significant shift for it to be a bad stepper or driver. That size of skip is usually a loose 'something' for that axis.

#3 mark tomlinson, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree. Always a good idea to go through and lock tight the set screws. Their tight and my tight are defianently 2 different things :)

5. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

Ok, so I added some loctite to the set screws on the stepper motor, just gotta let it dry for a bit and try again. I noticed something tho, the motor shaft is not keyd? I've been doing rc racing for some time now and most proper motors come with a notch machined into the shaft for the set screw to avoid this very issue. Would it be safe to file a flat spot onto the shaft for the screws to bite on to better?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Totally fine if you want to do that. I thought mine had a keyed shaft, but I really don't remember (did it once, loctite, never went back)
    There isn't a huge amount of torque on it so the set screw alone is fine (if tight).

7. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

Got it, thanks for the speedy reply. Im putting everything back together right now, will let you know how it turns out.

8. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

Still have the same issue. I've turned down the speed multiplier in the controls to 0.5 for both the speed and extrusion and now have something that mostly resembles a print. Now that it's actually "working" I'm noticing a lot of chatter on the X axis. I have used the grease that comes with the printer and tried machine oil but it still chatters. I noticed the "smooth" track rods are not entirely smooth and have machine marks on them. Can that be an issue?

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Pictures ? Are the belts tight ?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That could well be bad linear bearings.
    Under warranty get them to replace them...
    If the smooth rods are severely scored they need to replace those too.

Call them and maybe do a conference or shoot them pictures.

Every now and again they get a bad batch of those in the system.

Geof likes this.
  11. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

Belt is as tight as I dare make it.
    I just did two prints, one at 0.8 speed and one at the slowest 0.5 on the multiplier.

This is the first one at 0.8 for both speed and extruder

20160327_150620.jpg

This is the second at 0.5 for both. Note that this is the first complete print I've done so far with this printer since I got it couple days ago. It was all right up till the top couple layers. You can see it drifted over some. 20160327_153436.jpg
    I'll email them about getting the bearings replaced. Are the track rods supposed to have machine marks on them or are they supposed to be completely smooth? If I run my nail down the length of them I cam feel machine marks on them.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They should be smooth.
    If that is still skipping it could be the bearings. If you move the platform manually do you feel it wanting to catch or it is moving smoothly?

13. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

If I move it by hand it's smooth. It only chatters when the motor is running. Interesting thing I just found, If I move the head on the X axis through mattercontrol, X- moves fine, X+ makes a bunch of noise and binds up probably half the time. However, when its performing the auto level it seems fine? Could it be a combination of a bad stepper and bearings?

14. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

In the first couple days I've had this I've learned more about whats wrong with this versus how much fun can be had using it. Sort of a let down. $700 isn't easy for me to cough up for anything, let alone a printer that doesn't work. Anyways, I'll get in touch with support and see what they say. You wouldn't happen to have their email? The link on the page doesn't seem to work.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Call them:

844-476-2633

@Harry, I can verify that the email form on CONTACT US is broken... at least on my browser :)

16. akumazedex

akumazedex New Member

Sweet, I'll give them a buzz tomorrow.

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hang in there buddy when the quality control issues are settled it's darn good printer. I think it took me about 2 weeks to get it sorted when I got it. Doing repairs makes you more confident about the printer and what it can do.

The link doesn't work on my iPad either

18. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Guys, what browsers are you using that the contact us form is broken?
    - Harry

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Chrome
    Version 49.0.2623.87 m

however when I updated to

Version 49.0.2623.108 m

still broken.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member