1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Zebra Skin - build surface

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KTMDirtFace, Mar 27, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have been using one on my printer, a prototype. But Wayne @ PrintinZ has the 10x10's in stock now on the web page, just passing the info. http://www.printinz.com/zebra-skins/

Works good, I put down painters tape first because the adhesive is really sticky, Wayne warned me it might never come off the bed. He recommended I put tape down first. Especially if installing on a glass bed printer.

PLA/PHA material sticks almost too well, I had to use no bed heat and raise my z offset.

Anyway Just though I would mention it.

Here are some pics of the install.
    [​IMG]

Whatever this is is too sticky
    [​IMG]

Started putting tape down
    [​IMG]

Trimmed it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 KTMDirtFace, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. KTMDirtFace

I just have simplify 3d set to auto level with a cold nozzle. Which can be annoying because I usually have to heat the nozzle up, pick the ooze off with tweezers, turn the heat off and keep picking ooze off as it cools back down.. then wait for it to be cool before starting a print.

I have been using Octoprint latley, took my LCD off.

A nice thing about the zebra skin I have noticed over build tak..is I have really dug at stuff with the robo scraper, and have not managed to ruin the print surface. Build Tak the scraper will get caught and tear it up sometimes.

4. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

Is kind of expensive for the 10 x 10. I looked at them yesterday.

5. KTMDirtFace

$23 is not that expensive, considering it will last a lot longer than buildTak.

Build Tak is about $40 for 3 sheets on amazon and I have ruined all of my build tak sheets. They both work well.

6. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

According to their website it was $56.

7. KTMDirtFace

You must have looked at the zebra plate it is $57. That is a different product a two sided flexible plate, that you clip to your bed. I bought one of those as well and have used it a lot. That works good too, but I think I like the skin better.

What I have shown here is a new product the Zebra Skin, its basically the top layer of the zebra plate with adhesive.

#7 KTMDirtFace, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  8. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

Oh that makes sense.

9. regor

regor Member

If you use Tim's Mini IR sensor, do you have to remove the mechanical switches on the Z and do you have to do a firmware update? Also, wondering how you wire the IR sensor to replace the Z switches?