1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bad Stepper?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by XEMA, Mar 26, 2016.

1. XEMA

XEMA New Member

So I have had my R1 Plus for less than 2 weeks (no mods so far, stock), been doing pretty well so far. Then in the middle of a print, it appears as though the Y axis had skipped some steps (it was printing some over holes all of a sudden). I tried manually jogging the Y 10 and even though I was specifying move 10, then another move 10 in the same direction, it goes a little angrily in one direction then back the opposite direction (it sounds horrible).

I removed the bed and left the unit off for a good hour (in case the RAMPS drivers were overheated) and it still sounds like massive skipped steps via the stepper controlling the Y axis (and it still goes one way then the other even if you are specifying movement in one direction).

Tried tightening the Y axis belts, no good. Tried removing the bed, no help. I am coming up with a bad stepper, anyone have any other thoughts?

Link to video for those that might have some idea what is causing this.

#1 XEMA, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That sounds correct. You can verify it by disconnecting the stepper signal from another axis (like 'X') and connecting it to the 'Y' stepper and then manually step X and see if the Y motor still misbehaves.

3. MChrisP1

MChrisP1 Member

That is the same sound my bad stepper motor made on my extruder when it went.

They sent me a new stepper and cables as well. Fixed my problem and I bet you need the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. XEMA

XEMA New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to engage the warranty site and see about getting a replacement.

MChrisP1 likes this.