1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Print head dragging on bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by rocket119, Mar 29, 2016.

1. rocket119

rocket119 New Member

Had my printer for a few weeks now and it has been working great. I had one issue about a week ago where the bed was unlevel on the x axis but i fixed it by doing like a hundred g29 codes and manually twisting the rods. I also used an actual level and leveled the bed by reseating it on the magnets. Other than that is has worked great. I have recently cranked up the speeds on my last couple of prints to see what this thing can do and it was working awesome. The top speed i was using was 90 mm/s and i had no issues whatsoever. I am printing with black pla with the head at 210 and the bed at 50. I started a print today and was surprised to find the sound of the movements slightly different. I can't exactly pin down what sounds different though. The main problem is exactly what is in the title. When a print is started it will auto level and then begin the print. the problem is that when printing the skirt the head seems to be dragging on the bed and it makes this awful noise and the bed is really jerky as it moves. It still manages to push out filament but it is an uneven flow i guess because of how it is dragging. Also i let it do one pass of the skirt and when it started on the second pass there was a y shift of at least an inch or so and a slight x shift too. When I use cancel the print and use the controls in matter control, all directions move smoothly. This is my first 3d printer and I'm not really sure how to go about fixing it. What do do? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Pushpal Sidhu

Pushpal Sidhu New Member

Hello. I'm new to 3d printing and matter control myself. Did you accidentally hit your z switches? You have to make sure they're on right else the z axis can get messed up (happened to me).

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What is your initial Z offset in the software you are using? That is what adjusts the initial gap between the extruder and the bed.

The 'shifts' in X or Y are probably due to loose belts, but can also be loose drive cogs on the stepper motor shaft that dries that axis (they have set screws to keep them tight).

4. rocket119

rocket119 New Member

Thanks for the fast replys. The Z switches seem to be fine. I could not find the initial Z height in matter control. Where would that be located at?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

6. rocket119

rocket119 New Member

Alright I found this tutorial online and it looked like it would help but my matter control doesn't have some of these functions so i'm back to square one. (sorry can't add links yet but if you search "Troubleshooting for MatterControl Print Leveling" it should come up. it has lots of pictures showing what to do.)

I did however run a g29 and all of my z values come up negative. I feel like that has something to do with my problem but I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?