1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered The rubber piece is coming off of the hotend, should I worry? Is that a warranty part?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GAmbrosio, Mar 30, 2016.

1. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

All,

I noticed that the rubber piece around the hotend has loosen. It is not currently interfering with the nozzle and extrusion, I tried to squeeze it back into place, but it just goes back.

Is that something very crucial? Can I get a replacement through the warranty? The nozzle seemed to have turned a dark color. Normal? I appreciate your help, thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is important because it helps hold the thermistor in place.
    I am not sure if it is a warranty item, contact Robo directly and see.

You could wrap the heater block with kapton tape to hold it in place..
    The newer model Hexagon has apparently switched to a set screw (like E3D and others use)

GAmbrosio likes this.
  3. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

I just called them for the first time. 11:26 hold time. I got some guy who sounded like he did not want to be there. Being in a similar type of profession, had I had his demeanor, I would have been having a talk with my superiors.

Anyway, I told him about the 3 issues I was having, the rubber insulator boot on the heater block, the nozzle which may have split, extruding filament was not a single solid, but more like two thin lines (nozzle may have warped?) and the cracked X axis brackets. He then said, " this is a mess." Told me to make an appointment with tier 2. Which I did.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Oh, btw, I believe there is a set screw for my thermistor cartridge. As that is snug. I may just do as Mark said and remove it and wrap it with Kaplon- which I have plenty of thanks to working on Macbooks :), Apple seem to love the stuff.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Technical support can be a challenge to get right. I sympathize with them.
    The forums are a huge help for them (and the users, frankly) in this regard :)
    But replacement parts is not something non-Robo folks can do for you.
    Best of luck.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The original J-Head used the kapton tape to secure everything. It worked just fine.

7. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Mark, again, as someone in similar shoes, I empathize, but cannot sympathize. :) the line of work requires utmost innate skills in patience, empathy, understanding, and whole lot of creativity. The customer is not always right, but the customer is king.

MChrisP1 likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, I sympathize in that I understand the challenges in getting it right from the business side (been there, done that, got the bruises).

Not sympathetic with them failing at it... in that sort of business failure is not an option. You can't fail your customers or long-term that problem fixes itself.

MChrisP1 and GAmbrosio like this.
  9. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

With the recent turmoil in the industry, Pinshape shutting down, Solid Doodle, done, along with Cube and others, it will be interesting what Robo will do to stay afloat, especially considering the R2 seems to be really quiet.

The glimmer of hope for the 3DP consumer end may be that Mattel is coming out with a sub $300 printer- that seems to hit media outlets in the last few months. Hopefully others come in as well as innovation is generally a product of competition. I hope Robo stays in the fray.

10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yea kapton works fine, I tore the boot off mine long ago and used kapton.

Also as for your nozzle shooting out two strings. its probably got a partially clogged blockage of some sort. Try cleaning it out ( I take mine off and blast it real quick with a torch, melts any stubborn plastic bits that may be jammed up in it ). If that doesn't work for me i just put a new nozzle on they are cheap.

GAmbrosio likes this.
  11. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Torch? As in butane?

12. KTMDirtFace

Yea I use a giant one because its all I have, but one of those little cheap handheld butane liters will do it too. Give it a quick blast let it cool and then hold it up to the light make sure you can see through it.

Usually i'm too lazy to even do that though and I just buy a few spare nozzles and put a new one in.

GAmbrosio likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I always just swap out a spare nozzle and tell myself I'll torch out the old one... and generally never do :)
    By the time I am taking them out to torch them they usually have significant wear anyway (that is what I am telling myself so don't try to argue that !)

14. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Fairly simple to remove and replace?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The nozzle or the kapton tape :)

16. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Nozzle :), by the way I saw replacement nozzles in Amazon. M6 thread? Same as the Makerbot MK8's?

17. KTMDirtFace

I can't remember.. I dont have the hexagon ( stock ) hotend on mine anymore. I don't think they are the same as makerbots MK8's but I could be wrong.

Removing the nozzle isn't too hard, heat it up through whatever program you use to control it. Then use a wrench to hold the heater block so it doesn't turn, unscrew nozzle with a socket or small wrench. I wear gloves when I do it so when the hot nozzle falls out it doesn't burn me.

I keep a 6mm, 7mm and 8mm ratcheting wrench handy by my printers..for nozzles. ( my printers have different sized nozzles, I don't know which size the robo3d uses anymore )

Reverse the process to reinstall.. I like to get it started cold so I don't burn myself. then heat it up to finish tightening it up.. just snug it up don't go crazy.

#17 KTMDirtFace, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    GAmbrosio likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Mark, that V6 one works for the Hexagon?

20. KTMDirtFace

Do those fit the hexagon hotend?

GAmbrosio likes this.