1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved So, we just got our printer and the filament broke off inside the head

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dennis Dormady, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Dennis Dormady

Dennis Dormady New Member

We were able to print two things and set it up for a long build.
    Came back in the morning and found the PLA hanging loose. Pushed it back in.
    Started the job and left...no, I didn't wait to see if it was extruding...my fault.
    And of course, just an "air print" of the object....the head made the moves but no extrusion happened.

So, following a video on the forum, I removed the two screws and can barely see the top of the PLA fragment in there.
    Can't reach it with tweezers.
    Not sure what to do next and am looking for suggestions on how best to remove the broken piece off.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Nathan Simers

Nathan Simers Member

i would let it heat it up and try to push it through with another piece of filament. Cut it so its flat and slowly try to push it try not to let it go to the side stay on top of it. Manually do this

3. Dennis Dormady

Thanks for the reply!

Sadly, I just gave that a go...no joy :(

4. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

You may have to remove metal extruder + hotend. Not sure which robo you have its either bolted in with two bolts from the side, or clamped with two from the bottom.

Then you should have filament sticking up you can grab onto.

Another trick I sometimes use is to remove the nozzle, and take some motorcycle safety wire for my dirt bike grips. heat extruder up and jam the saftey wire through from the top. ( it wont fit through with the nozzle on )

#4 KTMDirtFace, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

6. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I just use a straightened put paper clip

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  7. Dennis Dormady

I called Tech Support and they sent me a one page set of instructions on how to drop out the hotend of our unit.
    *phew*

Not sure if I can post that file, but they will send it to you from Tech Support.

So it amounted to dropping out the unit (which I had no clue on how to do before) and then I saw the PLA sticking up. Tried to pull it, but it didn't want to come out.
    I figure it mushroomed so I heated the unit up..using a clamp to hold it ( to keep my blisters to a minimum) and when it hit temp was able to push out some through the nozzle and then pulled the piece back out. SUCCESS!

Then waited for it to cool. And then couldn't reseat the unit...the latch part wouldn't close. So I worked at it a bit longer and got it to close.

Loaded a different PLA roll and started up a new project. Started a new project and it seemed to print OK.

Will know more in the morning, but I'll mark this "resolved".

And mark myself a bit more knowledgeable....always a good thing!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Keep that marker handy, you'll be using it a lot ;)

It is a good learning experience.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

For pla printing don't forget to add an oiler and season after any jams (tons of threads on the matter if your up for some more info)

Tons of stl on thingiverse