1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Simplify3D and Z axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hamad Alhashimi, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Hamad Alhashimi

Hamad Alhashimi New Member

Hi everyone

I've had Simplify3D for four days now and since then I've been trying to print anything but it all ended up with failure. the problems I have is that the nozzle is too close to the bed and it prints, extrudes too slow. However, whenever I use Mattercontrol or Cura it print just fine.

I'm using Robo R1 Plus

here are my setting in Simplify3D.

Attached Files:

2. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Can you post what the prints look like? Only time I had a failure with S3D was when I selected the default as the machine profile and my printer did not perform an auto level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Change the M565 Z-1 to something slightly further from the bed.
    like:

M565 Z-1.2

and play with that number until it is right (more negative -> further from the bed)

Make sure (by looking at the generated toolpaths/gcode) that it is actually including that in the startup GCode.

4. Jimmy O

Jimmy O New Member

Can I put something like M565 Z-0.9?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. Michael Keyser

Michael Keyser New Member

Learning as I go. I'm in the same boat. So, my question is:

What's the point of auto bed-leveling if you need to manually tweak settings in the G-code?

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:) that's a good question...it's a good idea that is getting outdated by mesh bed leveling. The stock set up is there to alieviate the need for bed adjusters but is very reliant on the bed being mostly flat and the x totally level with the y. All that said....you still have to define how far off the bed you want your print to start... :)

8. nonmindo

nonmindo New Member

I'm having a similar issue but I don't know if its gcode related or not, I also just recently got S3D and MC is working just fine, my problem is less with the z-offset but rather that it doesn't appear that the printer is auto compensating for the bed leveling, what im saying is, if i print something in MC i can see the z-axis rods moving slowly to compensate for the leveling of the bed, however in S3D they do not move at all except when its time to layer up.

I used the Robo3D R1+Plus profile in S3D as I have the Robo3D R1 w/auto bed level and the R1+Plus z-axis upgrade
    The only modification I did to the start G code was to add in the M565 line

I've added my s3d profile if anyone with the app wants to take a look

Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can take a look at you FFF when I get home (dont have my laptop with me). It sounds like a pretty normal Z offset issue or leveling issue. If Mattercontrol works fine all you'll need to do is tweak S3D

10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Using a simple text editor like Notepad++ I was able to open your fff file and see that indeed it is the z offset issue. You need to go into the scripts tab and define M565 Z-0.8 or whatever your offset is defined in MC. That goes between the G28 and the G29 commands.

Here is the way it looks in the fff, but S3D will have each command on its own line of course.
    <startingGcode>G28 ; home all axes,G29 ; probe the bed,G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle,M109 S[extruder0_temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait,G28 X0 Y0 ; home again to start wipe,G1 X20 Z0 F4800 ; wipe</startingGcode>

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@danzca6 im under the impression he isnt using mesh? So he needs the M565???

12. danzca6

Right...I didn't see where he is using the newer 1.1.0 Marlin. So M565 is the robo z offset command right? Otherwise it would be M851 for the newer firmware WW posted for ABL. If using Mesh, then G29 S4 Z#.## would be used if needing to adjust an offset from the mesh but normally not needed.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Says someone who has never had to manually level a printer :)
    As painful as it sounds the way you describe it, it is miles better than manual leveling

Geof likes this.
  14. nonmindo

nonmindo New Member

are ya'll discussing my post or the OP, just making sure lol

as for me, I'm using whatever firmware was updated when i installed the R1+Plus firmware robo suggested for using the upgrade kit
    I havent messed with marlin any other way
    Only firmware changes I made was adding an external LCD controller

I also should mention my settings are odd for z offset, just because its what i have in on MC that is working
    in the M565 sets to -0.7 in the startup gcode under scripts, then in the "GCODE" tab i have it set to global z offset to .25 which should math out to i think -.45.... i know i could and probably should just set it in the startup gcode to -.45 but i was just trying anything to get it to work, this did get my printing working but the prints arent level some areas are printing colorless(front right are of bed) other areas are printing strings that aren't adhering to the bed(back left area of bed)

I'm bout to head to bed as I just got home from 3rd shift, I can test out tomorrow morning moving the G29 command, but its in the same spot in MC that it is in S3D...is it maybe that second G28 in the MC that makes a difference here?

---MC---
    G28 ; home all axes
    G28 Z0 ; Home Z again in case there was filament on nozzle
    M565 Z-0.7
    G29 ; probe the bed
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait

---S3D---
    G28 ; home all axes
    M565 Z-0.7
    G29 ; probe the bed
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[extruder0_temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait
    G28 X0 Y0 ; home again to start wipe
    G1 X20 Z0 F4800 ; wipe

EDIT: @danzca6 I see what happened!! I think i just uploaded the default unmodified profile lol, derp! added the correct one here

Attached Files:

#14 nonmindo, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your missing your ; on yout m565 line.

@danzca6 i misread your post lol.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. danzca6

Semi colon is just for commenting anything that is after it. Not needed really for this to work. The comma is what separated each command line.

@nonmindo I do see it in the last fff file you posted now. If you're trying to be creative with MC on the offset, we will need to see what the true offset is being outputted to the gcode. I know MC has multiple places to put an offset value, but I'm not sure it is working the way you think. Not sure I've seen it trying to take two different settings for offset and perform math. Let's try a sanity check before we continue. Load a model into MC and then export that models sliced gcode to a file on your PC. When looking at your print queue panel there is a queue... menu at the lower right that gives you this option to export. Then open that gcode file with a text editor and search for M565. What does that line look like? If it is a value other than M565 Z-0.7 then that is the value you need to plug into S3D to start doing an apples to apples comparison.

<startingGcode>G28 ; home all axes,M565 Z-0.7,G29 ; probe the bed,G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle,M109 S[extruder0_temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait,G28 X0 Y0 ; home again to start wipe,G1 X20 Z0 F4800 ; wipe</startingGcode>

17. nonmindo

nonmindo New Member

so it doesnt look like any "maths" is done like i thought, searched for "M565" in the MC gcode output
    M565 Z-0.7

I tried this in S3D and the z-axis is still not moving when the print is running to keep the gantry level like it does in MC

Should I try maybe using the Robo3D R1 (auto leveling) profile, instead of the Robo3D R1+Pplus profile, even though I have the R1+Plus z-axis upgrade kit installed? Could that be it? Is there anything different about the auto leveling with the R1+Plus vs an upgraded R1?

#17 nonmindo, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  18. danzca6

That really shouldn't make any difference. The ABL routines are the same between both versions of the R1 regardless of the z axis screws. Very ponderous.

19. nonmindo

nonmindo New Member

I think maybe the next testing step would be to load up a model in MC, test print, check to make sure z-axis is leveling during print, then export gcode to file and import into s3d and print using the MC output gcode and see if rods move during print?