1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved 2001 pod Model not printing correctly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by astro boy, Apr 3, 2016.

1. astro boy

astro boy Member

Hi Everyone, pod1.jpg pod2.jpg

I'm a newbie at printing and just received my Robo r1 Plus a couple weeks ago. I've only done a few prints so far. First one came out fantastic. I was printing a model I got off sharecg of the eva pod from 2001. All the comments were pretty glowing about the model. I tried a test print at the fast quality, using simplify 3d software. I generated auto supports which seemed fine. but looking at the pics there are parts that printed great and some with a lot of gaps. I'd eventually like to scale this up and print it again at hi res. Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I think I probably need to repair this model in the software, but I'm just not sure how to know that from the preview since it looked fine there. Of course any help would be appreciated.

2. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

What are you printing with? What temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks for your replies. I'm using 190 on the extruder and 80 on the bed. I'll try the links suggested for checking the models in the future. Been trying to read up as much as possible but any suggestions on things to try I'd really appreciate.

Best

5. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Sounds like you are using PLA? The bed temp sounds a little high. I usually go no higher than 65 with PLA. Maybe it is getting too hot, causing the PLA to distort?

6. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks GAmbrosio,
    I'll try lowering my bed temp. Yes I've been using PLA. I wasn't certain of what temp to use, but I found the number somewhere online. Possibly wherever I saw it they were talking about a different material.
    Thanks

7. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

From my experience with PLA, anything over 190 causes quality issues like you are having. Anything over 65 on the bed as well. Make sure the model fan, the bigger one at the back of the extruder is on. Opposite of ABS, no fan, 245 at the extruder, 75-80 on the bed.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

ABS could be even hotter on the bed :) I usually do that at 110.

ABS is one that requires a lot of tweaking to fit your environment.

9. astro boy

astro boy Member

thanks GAmbrosio...
    I'll reduce my temps a bit and try again on friday. I've also found that there are some issues with the model which I'm trying to learn more about repairing. Since I had a long day at work today I think I'm only going to spend a little more time on it though. Thanks again for your help. I'll post back when I get some new results.

best

10. astro boy

astro boy Member

Update...
    Well I haven't been able to print the pod file since i modified it. The computer just keeps getting hung up on the file. I can print other files but not the pod. I flipped the pods orientation so it would sit on the build plate on its bottom instead of its back. I also changed temperature parameters. Bed to 60 and well it seems that it will prevent the filament from extruding below 190. I tried to print at 180 but the filament wouldn't advance until i put it back to 190. I also get an error before the computer hangs up when trying to print the model that says "do you really want to change toolhead during build?" which i don't understand. It seems I have a lot to learn.
    Another question... do different colors react to temperature differently? I ask because I'm trying to print a simple model right now and the first layer is pulling up in spots. strings haven't adhered to the bed like the blue did with the same method. I've been using hairspray and that worked great before. Is the bed temp too low now at 60?

Thanks

11. astro boy

astro boy Member

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For ABS, yes... I'd say 60 is too low.
    For PLA? No.

13. astro boy

astro boy Member

I'm using pla... I raised the bed to 70 degrees and tried printing two free models today. A discovery spaceship from 2001, that print seemed to be going well before aborting it. I thought i could print a batarang from batman begins in an hour or so but the extruder pulled up a corner on one of the first layers and that failed. I guess all models aren't created equal when your getting them for free, which is really nice on the creators part to make them available. I think I should probably stick to one model as a control example when trying different settings? I want to print so many things, but it seems they are not all ready to print or I'm not ready. I should probably look into a maker class in my area. I hear there are a few. Either that or just trial and error. Thanks for all the help.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

yes, or go insane trying every permutation 60 times.

For PLA, if you are getting warping I would suggest :
    1) a different spool
    2) lower extruder temp.
    3) lower bed temp.

PLA is not wildly susceptible to warp (unlike ABS) and generally sticks OK with lower bed temp. Do your best to keep the environment around the printer stable (i.e. no A/C ducts blowing directly on the printer). Air flow around the printer to a minimum.

I run my bed in the mid-40's for PLA. Extruder temp is not a good comparison since usually I am running with the volcano which prints a lot colder (175 IIRC). Even on the regular E3D we print PLA in the mid-180's -> low 190's. Generally for PLA (and ABS) you want to print as cool as you can anyway. You want to have it hot enough to flow and bond, but not a lot hotter.

You have to modify the firmware to go too low since the new MINTEMP is set at 190 if memory serves. Still, 190-ish is good enough, normally.

15. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks for the recommendations Mark, I really appreciate the advice. I'll try a lower bed temp instead of going higher plus I think since I don't want to get into modifying the firmware just yet, I'll run at 190. I've had some success today but some failures as well. My problem also is I have a roommate who is scared of the printer running for hours while I'm not around and thinks it will cause a fire. So I'm limited to shorter printing times or times when i can supervise it. the pod is not a short print. So for the time being I have limits.

Thanks again

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

17. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Isn't that what renter's insurance is for ;)

18. astro boy

astro boy Member

i don't know why my roommate would have a problem with it, he's home literally all day and just goes out to the corner for food at meal times.
    anyway... i think after printing anumber of models on my robo. i think i can narrow it down to the model being flawed. im not sure how to repair it but I've found one that prints in separate pieces and comes out fine. so thanks for all your help and suggestions but i consider this solved and closed. but i must say the help ive received from everyone has been invaluable and ive learned from the experience. hopefully when I've learned enough i can be of help to someone as well.

thanks all

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.