1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Extruder stuck.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Wesley5n1p35, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Wesley5n1p35

Wesley5n1p35 New Member

Using abs 1.75. New r1 plus model just got it a few days ago. did a few prints succesfully and then on matter control i sped up the motor speed and extruder speed finished the print went the net day to print something and it started to go like it was printing but it wasnt laying anything down. so i heated it up more and tried to pull the filament out but it broke used a little screwdriver to push the filament through and some came out then put more filament in and tried again got stuck again. took the whole thing apart where the extruder is motor and all. disconnected all the wires to the fan and motor and extruder. thermistor came out of extruder... is it attached or does it sit in there? tried to find the right plugs for the extruder and thermistor to heat up and push the filament thats stuck in there it got hot but it seems stuck and thermistor doesnt seem to be reading correctly... a'so when i pulled the extruder out of the encasing it was basically welded to the top part with plastic so i had to basically screw in to the bottom side to get that plastic opening open again. this thing is a headache... i need schematics to pu it back together and a solution for my extruder and thermistor thanks

2. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Kinda happened to me last night. Filament jammed, then clogged the nozzle. Heat break/block insulator disintegrated as I pumped the heat up. I think I clogged it even worse as I couldn't get it to feed anything.

Luckily, I had a spare hotend, thanks, Robo...and it is back up and running. If you are using PLA, use an oiler and season the nozzle- albeit it may be too late for this hotend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL New Member

Same thing happened to me today.. PLA got stuck and when I heated the head and tried to pull it out, it broke right at the start of the printhead. Like none sticking out.. Guess I'll email support and see what I need to do to get a new one. :(

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can remove the brass nozzle and pull it all out the other end.
    Care is required since some of that has to be done with the extruder hot (you have to loosen the nozzle hot, once it starts to turn you can cool it down to remove)..

5. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

I have been using an oiler but I just got a jam using PLA. The PLA broke off right at the end of the cold end. I have remove the cold end from the hot end. Any suggestions how to get the PLA out of the cold end? It's Hatchbox PLA and had a great 14 hour print before I started this one. As I have said I was using an oiler and am 2 weeks into using this hot end

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

(This is a repeat with more detail of my post above)

I would remove the brass nozzle and pull the filament through that way. It is largely a straight-through shot from the hot and cold sections (there is only the heat break) with the nozzle removed. Worst case you might have to disassemble the hot and cold sections (i.e. at the heat break) but likely not.

7. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

There was nothing sticking out of the lower end of the cold end when remove (I had taken off the nozzle Before I detached the cold end)

With the jam in the middle of the cold end and unable to grasp at either end by tweezers, am I able to melt it out maybe? Or get an Allen wrench or drill hot and push it though? Would the inside of the cold end survive such force?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is stuck in the cold end -- that is odd. I would not expect that to happen unless the filament was out of spec.
    If you have already disassembledthe hotend you can torch the cold end to remove anything. With it all taken apart that is just a chunk of metal :)

(don't torch the heater block -- where the heater core and thermistor are -- that is why I suggested it only if you have it disassembled)

9. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

I'll give it a try later today