1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

MatterControl issue

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by 3ddder, Feb 25, 2016.

1. 3ddder

3ddder New Member

Hello everyone. I've been having a seriously annoying issue that I can't figure out. For whatever reason, after the first layer, it prints really fast. I've got every setting in speed at 50mm/s. The first layer is fine, but every subsequent layer prints more like around 100mm/s. I have to cut speed multiplier to 0.50 during the second and subsequent layers. Any ideas?

2. Trama

Trama Member

Which slice engine are you using.

50mms is pretty fast and the first layer speed is usually set to a percentage of the main perimeter speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. aenea22980

aenea22980 New Member

I found in MatterControl that there were a lot of settings that aren't accessible from the UI, you have to go to the little x-shaped tool symbol next to the setting option you chose, then look through the drop down menus. Since every print seems to reset back to default (even if you changed it) unless the setting is locked (yellow) I ended up making a custom setting where I added every single option available in all drop downs, so every setting would be locked. Then I could make tweaks without worrying about the setting resetting every time. It took a while the first time, but after that it is much easier to fine tune and find just the right adjustment for everything.

For yours there are several settings that control speed for the first layer, all other layers, for the inside fill, for the outside perimeters, for support, etc, and only some are accessible via the UI IIRC.

4. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

That is one of the things that bugged me with MC. How I worked around it? I bought Simplify 3D:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  5. aenea22980

aenea22980 New Member

I've heard that's a great program, but not everyone can afford $150 for software for 3D printing. After buying the printer I certainly didn't want to, I figured it was better to learn how to use the one it came with, and then think about upgrading later if I needed to. So far it works fine, but my printing needs don't require a lot of options.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I used matter control for most the first year then tried cura(also free) then moved to the purchased simplify. I don't regret simplify at all but I know many people can make the free softwares work for their needs :)