1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Getting really frustrated

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mindstar, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Mindstar

Mindstar New Member

I've had the printer for about three weeks now and got one good week out of it. The first print jobs were amazing then all of a sudden the quality started going downhill. After reading all of the troubleshooting posts I realized the nozzle was probable clogged. Thought I got it unclogged and tried a different brand of PLA that was highly rated. It got worse. Nothing was coming out. Last night I spent three hours taking about the nozzle and getting it completely unclogged. Decide to give up on PLA and tried ABS. Barely anything came out on the first short print run then I aborted the run. Tried again and nothing came out. I turned up the heat and still nothing. I'm completely lost and frustrated.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

so with pla, what temp were you using? around 200C? Was the filament grinding on the hob bolt in the back of the extruder at all?

3. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

PLA is by far the more forgiving filament out of the two. I find using a oiler and seasoning the nozzle makes PLA more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danzca6 likes this.
  4. danzca6

Also you are well within the 6mo warranty. So don't get too frustrated before you make a call to Robo.

GAmbrosio likes this.
  5. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Similar experience, no problems except noob problems the first month, which means problems due to my own ignorance. Model orientation, settings that were less than ideal, etc. Last week, the hotend clogged like yours did because, well, my own issue, thinking I can use PLA that was not reviewed. Play with fire. You will get burned. So jammed first, then clogged and then total and complete failure of the hotend. Good thing, I was smart enough to contact Robo and they sent me a new hotend for free. Installed it and it is now on hour 12 of a 16 hour print. :)

6. Mindstar

Mindstar New Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I was running the temp between 190-210. The first batches were great. Then it clogged. Tried everything to get it unclogged before finally taking it apart. Completely unclogged the extruder but when I went to do a test run with ABS just a little clump started coming out. Bumped up the temperature and nothing. I'll give it one more try fixing it on my own before I call tech support.

7. danzca6

Don't forget to season it and use an oiler like @GAmbrosio suggested.

8. Mindstar

Mindstar New Member

I made the switch to ABS to test it out and to hold off on using an oiler until I can make one using the printer. Still a newbie and wanting to try various filaments. I went with the ones that were recommended on another post.

Its just killing me not being able to play with my new toy.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can season it with nothing but the oil . If that helps then print the oiler.

10. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

I hear you, but unfortunately, this technology is still a tinkerer, hobbyist, world as we both are quickly discovering, patience and thinking it through will be key to make it enjoyable. If you are losing it, gotta step back and think about it since it is almost guaranteed won't be your last undesirable situation with your printer.

Mirko3D likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No matter how long you work with it, there is always something new to learn* around the corner :)

*which for us often involves swear words as part of the learning experience

GAmbrosio likes this.
  12. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Mark, I think, many come into this thinking, "oh, cool. I can make crap," without realizing it is whole lot more than just buying the printer, buy quality PLA, finding a model on the interweb and hit print.

It is like RC racing. One does not just buy the gear and run all day carefree.

Oh, the swear jar was full this weekend, along with some broken things around my work area. ;)

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So what you're saying is...

Perfect prints.jpg

Geof, Caleb Cangelosi and GAmbrosio like this.
  14. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Mark, frustrating? Would be printing a 48 hour print and at 46 and half, stupid spool from a "quality, ISO CERTIFIED 'murican," place is wound too tight causing a jam. And...I love this one, 23 hour job, stupid power goes out (PG&E!!!) at hour 18, after it took 3 retries to get the first layer to look mavelous...;) now I have a UPS coming...:)

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)

16. greif07

greif07 New Member

A couple of somewhat related issues I had; Remove the two spring-loaded screws that hold in the piece that pressures the filament. Once you have it off, clean all the plastic shrapnel out of there and make sure the feeding gear is clean. Also, check in between the heater block and cooling fins of the hot end to see if any filament is oozing out. Mine was not heated and tightened and was leaking plastic. Google how to properly tighten hot ends because you can screw them up by twisting wrong things.

Do your extruder gears look like they're moving at the right speed or are they slipping/skipping or moving extremely slow? If you preheat, you can move the gear a little by hand and see if it's extruding.

GAmbrosio likes this.
  17. Mindstar

Mindstar New Member

Thanks guys, I got it working again last night. My first test run was a simple little model that had a little problem in the beginning but the next larger piece turned out perfect. The only strange thing I encountered was that using Simplify I couldn't maintain a set temperature prior to doing an actual print job.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Which hotend?

Could be too much airflow in the vicinity of the printer (no enclosure so, that can happen).
    The different hotends have different size (wattage) heater cores.
    I finally just threw a 40w 12v core into mine and that quit happening :)

19. Mindstar

Mindstar New Member

Still new at this. Not sure how to tell the temperature differences for each end. I have a lot of reading on the forum to learn from.

I didn't have the problem until I fixed the clog.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Stock it is a hexagon hotend with a 30w heater core.