1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Something crazy just happened with my Robo 3D Plus

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cuda70, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

I was printing and it stopped feeding filament thinking i had a jam i checked but all was good. So i started to reinsert the fulfillment but it just pops back out the top when i say print?? Upon inspection i find that the extruder motor is RUNNING BACKWARDS!! (turning counterclockwise) And in addition to that my Cura and Mattercontrol can no longer find my printer?? I uninstalled the printer from the programs and reinstalled the printer and driver NO LUCK. I went as far as to uninstall both programs and do fresh installs SAME THING i took my USB cable off and attached it to my inkjet printer and the cable and usb port work just fine Did the board in my Robo crap out maybe??

#1 Cuda70, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

Wow i cant believe with all the experienced people here not one answer not even a guess?? I am so stuck have tried everything but no luck :(

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Under warranty a call to Robo 3D support would be your starting point.

Testing the USB cable against a 'normal' printer is pointless. The Arduino in the Robo is far more picky and demanding of a quality cable than a normal printer :) Try a new cable.

So you tried different programs (MatterControl and Cura) which means it is likely a driver or hardware.
    Download and install the Arduino GUI (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software) and see if you can get it to connect to the printer (you need to tell it the com port and board type. The board type is the Arduino Mega 2560). That will insure that the Arduino driver is installed. It it can connect then the hardware is good and you have a software issue.

If nothing will connect to the printer then you do have a hardware failure.
    Likely the Arduino or the RAMPS 1.4 (or both, but that is rare).

4. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

Great advice i will try this also thanks for the link and board info will keep you informed on my progress-THANKS :)

5. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

Did everything you asked and nothing when i plug in the USB i get the windows tone indicating that i plugged a USB item in or unplugged something but no program-Matter control or Cura can locate the printer

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the Arduino program (the Arduino GUI) can not see the printer then it is bad hardware (Arduino, Ramps...)
    Make sure install the arduino GUI and try since that also eliminates any driver issues.

7. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

That was what i was thinking so i ordered a new arduino board and a extra hot end but my email says they(Robo) only shipped the hot end?? they never said that the board was back ordered just was not shipped i was charged for it So I sent a email but three days later still no answer

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Amazon?
    Ask for a refund and use another seller.

9. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

Not Amazon bought right from Robo 3D company

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I hate to say it, but if you are footing the bill go with Amazon. You might (or might not) pay a little more, but you will be certain to get your parts in a timely fashion (or you get them free).

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. greif07

greif07 New Member

I'm sure lots of people have had success with cheap Chinese knockoff 2560 boards on Amazon, but I haven't. After a few days of frustration and inability to flash firmware on a knockoff, I went ahead and ordered a genuine Arduino 2560 from Adafruit. As a side note, I needed drivers so I went with some drv8825's over the a4988's for personal preferences.
    You may want to inspect your ramps and drivers if it was a heat issue.

13. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

well i just give up time to pack this hunk of junk Robo 3D Plus up put it in the garage and call it a life lesson i have tried everything i can and ROBO WONT ANSWER EMAILS very disheartening to get no support from the manufacture of this product and worse yet is i only bought it on MARCH 2nd

daniel871 likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Call them.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dont give up on it yet buddy.

After all the frustration and it's finally up and going you'll be very happy I think.

If you truly are just done with it sell it for a few hundred, hell I'd buy it.

16. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

well i called and they are unable to answer my question about the missing board and have to send a request "upstairs"??? so i still have no answer as to where my board is at or when i will receive it stay tuned for more updates

17. Cuda70

Cuda70 New Member

Well i have contacted Paypal asking for a refund as nobody from Robo has yet to contact me

APR 09, 2016 | 12:49PM PDT
    Robo 3D Tech replied:

Hello,
    Thank you for contacting RoBo3d Support.
    My name is Jon and I helped you today on the phone.

In order to better troubleshoot and provide a timely response, we are creating this ticket. Please feel free to update us with additional information by simply replying to this ticket.

At this time, this ticket is being escalated to our level 2 support team who will be in touch shortly to provide further assistance.

As per our conversation, the reported issue is as follows

On order 3669 on 4-4-2016 caller paid for a hot end and the board and only got the hot-end not the board. Caller is looking for a update on the rest of the parts ordered.

A level 2 support associate will be taking over your case and will work with you to resolve the case until it is closed.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

My luck with Paypal and disputes has been mixed over the years.
    Enough so that I downgraded my account recently to the basic.
    Good luck hopefully they (or Robo) get you sorted.

Geof likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I do
    Warranty through robo, everything else through Amazon or another source. I hope this works out for you.

20. aenea22980

aenea22980 New Member

I don't know if you're already returning it or not, but my thought on your original post - I run into the issue where the printer cannot be found also, not uncommon, I believe it sometimes happens when MatterControl has a hiccup, then Windows somehow holds on to the old (now not working) connection, the COM port, and won't let go. If I shut off the printer and mattercontrol and turn it on again, usually it's fine. If it's stubborn (rarely) it always works if I restart my computer.

As for the motor running backwards, did you try reversing the power connector? Maybe it was installed backward or came loose and was plugged back in wrong something simple and mechanical like that.

Anyway, good luck. I love my Robo but it's best to also be willing to tinker and troubleshoot. I didn't want to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a printer, so I'm willing to put up with some hands on fine tuning, and it easy to take apart and work on.