1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered How to secure tension screws on feeder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Terry Reilley, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

For some reason, the two tension screws on the filament feeder lever keep coming loose and this wreaks havoc during extensive prints. I ran a single print that was >24 hours and it failed around 90%. Why? Because the filament was ground up and what I noticed was that the tension screws were very loose. They must be loosening up due to the vibration generated during the print process.

This always tends to happen when my print is high on the z-axis. I'm going to try a test print today using a cylinder that is as high as the part I was trying to print (and has failed twice due to this reason and see if something else might be causing it, but it's definitely failing with a filament grinding issue.

2. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

If it comes loose, the filament does not get fed and it stops extruding. So it is puzzling that the filament is ground up. Unless the carriage has a crack, it should stay tight as the screws lock into a nut that presses against the carriage walls. If it is still under warranty, call Robo. Something broke or is breaking somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

After I posted earlier, I went back to check for a clog and yes, the hotted was clogged (again, grrrr). Cleaned the hobbed bolt, ran all five gauges of guitar string to clean out the hotted, and put a spool of Hatchbox on to flush out the other brand I was using. It's running a tall test print now so I will see what happens. I do know the screws keep coming loose so I will see if the extruder is cracked. Not sure how that would have happened but anything is possible! Maybe some light Loctite would help in this regard.

Speaking of clogs, I like to use Hatchbox ABS but had to buy another brand. I print ABS at 230C. I've printed with no issues for several days on the white Hatchbox ABS and then switched to a spool of 3DFORUSE that I had bought because Amazon was out of stock of the color I needed. I'm wondering if this brand is not too great because I've had more than a few clog lately using this brand verse my go-to Hatchbox, but it had a lot of good reviews. I still prefer Hatchbox PLA and ABS over anyone else thus far and just ordered a spool. Also ordered cleaning filament from Printed Solid.

5. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

ABS is not really great on the Robo . Only filament iv ever really had problems with are abs because of clogging,chewed up filament and warping .Print with PLA or if you need something strong and heat resistant print with PETG . PETG prints AMAZING (even better then PLA with characteristics of ABS without the warping. ALL i print with now is really ESUN or Hatchbox PETG.

6. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

OK, I will order a spool of PETG and see how that goes. Does it sand as well as ABS? I like using ABS for certain things because I can use acetone to glue pieces together easily and vapor smooth it, but not sure it's worth it when I have so many failures!

7. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

It does sand but no it wont do vapor smoothing. It prints very smooth as is though ., This is with .25 layer height ,50mm/sec 240 hotend 80 bed . no print fan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] .

8. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Scared of PETG, after reading that thread about cracked beds. Working with ABS, as Terry stated it sands so much better than PLA. But the shrinkage and lifting is pissing me off, so I am now printing that enclosure on Thingiverse by that Daniel77 dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are a lot of choices these days :)

10. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Why would PETG crack the print bed ? Looking at the PETG thread ,most people are converting to PETG. I can say iv done about 40 prints now and havent had any bed issues besides from it adhering to the glass perfectly. Its been a dream printng with it.

11. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I think most of the people with bed cracking issues live/have their printers set up where the cooling off after the heaters shut off happens rapidly enough to shock the glass bed.

I know I lost one bed on the original R1 to glass cracking underneath a PETG printed part after the heater shut off.