1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Under support finish

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TstarkEngineering, Apr 8, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

How can I improve the finish between the part and support material. I have dense support on but that doesnt seem to do much. Here is how it is turning out.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A better slicer is probably the solution.
    I would experiment with others.

Or dig into the specific settings for the supports on whichever slicer you are using and try tweaking them (things like gap, etc).

3. TstarkEngineering

im using S3D

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then you should be talking to their support folks, like yesterday :)

Because my supports don't leave any artifacts. You can not tell where they were 90% of the time.

5. TstarkEngineering

wow great response thanks for your help. go talk to support....because yours don't do that.
    instead of why dont you try decreasing your horizontal offset separation or something...I will try somewhere else...

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am saying that they actually do have support (unlike MC, Cura, etc) and they are the experts on their slicer.
    In fact several times I have worked with their support and they have really smart people there :)

Further, I am using whatever defaults the slicer has (I have not modified the support generation in any way) so YOURS should be using similar settings.

Apparently that is not working right and there are so many knobs to tweak under the covers that you really should talk to the experts (the ones who wrote it).

Maybe we can help, but at least start an issue with them.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Sanding helps

GAmbrosio likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. TstarkEngineering

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can get you whatever settings you want.
    What screens specifically do you want?

The ball was just an extreme example I tried back then. Lots of models since that have never had what I am seeing on yours. So there is something set differently or behaving differently for sure.

11. TstarkEngineering

maybe just the support tab section, just to compare...maybe mine is super duper far off. Thank you

12. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

I get the same problem with S3D. Where the support attaches, the part comes out jagged and unfinished- something like layer delineation. This is prevalent in models where the surface is flat, not curved.

Not quite nailed the solution, but I don't think it is in the support controls, as I have messed with these settings and did not get better or worse. I think the problem maybe that even with support, the overhang extrusion is either not cooling fast enough or is not getting enough pressure to lay correctly as the first layer does. This may be a temp, dual fan mod, or z offset solution or even a combination of all of the above? If you find the fix, please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here you go. One thing that might matter (just pondering this) is that this type of support probably acts a lot like bridging and you will want to have the cooling fan enabled. I couldn't say for certain, but it seems like that might matter. If you are totally over the support surface and the filament sags enough you would get more bonding to the supports themselves. Now that I type that it occurs to me that print speed might matter as well (as would printing too hot since the filament would tend to sag).

Supports Tab.jpg

14. TstarkEngineering

ya those are the settings ive tried, ive also tried using the dense support as well. Thanks I will keep trying a few more things...sad thing is the rest of it looks so beautiful, not one blob or anything...

15. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

That brings up more things to consider. I usually do not go over 20% infill, which may be to loose to bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. TstarkEngineering

I have to go over 20% on this part. minimum 50%

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Figured that, like I said all defaults for me on that tab. I pay a lot more attention to speed and temp since those have a lot more effects on my print quality. I am not sure infill would adversely affect this, but that is why I suggested talking to them -- they know this slicer best. I had one model that just failed miserably and they found and fixed the model errors for me.

18. TstarkEngineering

I have added a post on the community and sent them a message directly...its in the slicer settings definitely I just dont know what. Hopefully they have some ideas. It should be achievable one way or another...

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I always just opened a support ticket with them directly. That seemed to get me decent response.
    Hopefully it will. I have not hung out in their forums so I can't say how responsive those are... I spend too much time on this one :)

20. TstarkEngineering

ya I guess i did the support ticket...message/support :)