1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bed Length Printer Area Shrinks

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ed Neugebauer, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

I'm trying to print something this is 9.375 inches long and it's failed a few times because my print bed size on the length (y-axis) shrinks below 9 inches. I was able to get this long object to print one time with the right length, but I had to cancel the job half-way through because of another issue.

I did recycle the power and pull the power chord on the printer, plus I looked under the bed to make sure there was no obstruction. The limit switch seems intact and the pulleys and belt seem like they are fine and aligned properly.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Are you printing with a skirt? That reduces the size as you must include that in the overall dimensions.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

I am using a skirt to prevent warpage, but I just want to know why the length is inconsistent. I do hear a crackling sound here and there as the bed moves back and forth. THe belt on the y axis is positioned all the way to the bottom of the pulleys, and I wonder if it is rubbing downward causing the crackling sound I hear sometimes.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

PICTURES, they are a big help as sometimes descriptions may not convey all the details.

I did print some custom spacers for the bearings on the Y axis as they did not quite line up with the stepper motor drive gear.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lift the bed and watch the Y belt on the center capstans as you move the rails back and forth. If it is staying centered you are good. If it is riding up and down it can bind. This is due to the cog on the motor drive shaft being positioned too low or too high (even a little makes a difference).

6. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

Okay as manually move the table backward the belt goes up the center capstan and down when I move it forward.

How do I adjust the cog on the motor drive shaft?

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

shims, maybe even tapered ones.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Loosen the set screw and move it up/down then reset the set screw.
    I had to move it one way, test then move it the other to sort out which way (up/down) it needed to go.
    Mine needed to go up a small amount.

9. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

Thank you for the help.

I loosened both set screws and tried to move it up and down, but it would not move. I even left them loose to see if it would align itself using the printer but no luck.

I guess I will try again when I get home.