1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Anyone ever seen this?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by hjls3, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

That is correct you must print over the heated portion in order to assure good adhesion with those filaments

2. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

You can increase the size of your bed in the Y axis and install a larger heater is you are printing lots of large parts. There is a guy on Thingeverse who has the mod for the longer y axis

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well.. not if the entire bed has to be all the same at least.
    Many filaments are fine with the entire bed -- uneven heat and all.

4. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Those filaments refereed to the filaments like ABS which require even heat

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, ABS is the only one that picky.
    If there are others ... I have not found them yet.

6. alphacat

alphacat New Member

Similar thing just happened to me. It appears to be a small, smooth chip. We've had our R1+ a couple of weeks, tops, and have so far only printed test prints with bed temps no higher than 65C. Hmm. Guess I'll go ahead and contact Robo, too.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not related to the heat of the bed (or at least it doesn't seem to be). Just a feature of the glass type and how stuck a material is.

Popping the model off with the bed warm might help.

8. Robert Foreman

One question I have about the PEI. Looking at the this.
    Upper Temperature Range 390 Degrees Fahrenheit
    Will the nozzle damage the surface while it is auto leveling? I print with PETG mostly between 235c(455f) to 240c(464f).
    Just wandering about this. I am thinking about trying it just to protect the bed.

#28 Robert Foreman, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  9. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

If you leave the nozzle touching the bed while hot it will melt the PEI and leave a spot. Bed leveling is not an issue even with high temp 300c.

10. Robert Foreman

11. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'd be careful. On my Delta the FSR leveling routine did indeed melt the PEI sheet some at ABS temps. If you do it and it works I'd like to hear about it because I have some PEI I was considering for the Robo but am concerned about the G29 causing problems with the PEI sheet like delta auto calibration did on my other printer.

Also the recommended 468MP adhesive REALLY sticks so be careful applying it because its a bugger to get back off. Most use the "float" method to align it and then squeegee out the soapy water or window cleaner to get it to adhere.

12. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

As it happens, I blow borosilicate glass. :)

Borosilicate glass is the most temperature resistant stuff there is other than fused Quartz. I routinely plunge room temperature glass into the torch, and I don't have any problems with it cracking on heating or shattering when cooling to room temperature before annealing, so trust me, there's NOTHING the hot nozzle can do that would even get it's attention.

I have a couple small divots too. I think it's just small defects in the glass which the print was stuck pretty well to.
    There's also no way to polish it out or to fill it with glass, I'm just going to live with it for the foreseeable future.

One thing that might help, is polishing the surface with cerium oxide (ebay). The first step in cutting glass is to make a small, nearly invisible scratch. When stock glass is shipped, it can get numerous tiny scratches. The polishing won't hurt, and it might help.

#32 dbvanhorn, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I just lost another divot on my glass. :(
    It's kind of amazing that the forces are that high, and yet it seems like anything less than hairspray results in prints coming detached from the bed.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The first layer is so critical, but (as I well know) sometimes even a good first layer is only 'good' for that spool of filament.
    Different ones fare slightly differently. Not a lot normally, but some. I always print a calibration gizmo on a new spool just to be sure nothing has changed.

When you get a well stuck first layer and a strong filament ... getting it up can be a challenge.

15. SlowMN

SlowMN New Member

They warrantied my glass. I had the same thing happen; however, it happened within the 1st week of owning the printer. I print everything with a raft and it pops right off. Takes no pressure whatsoever. No idea what caused mine to crack. The customer service is phenomenal. They replied quickly and sent a replacement. That alone was enough to keep me as a life long customer.

16. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

It finally happened my borosilicate is chipping. It's now to an unusable point. It looks like alot of people are moving to PEI from this and other threads. I'm hesitate to use a thin layer of PEI because of the chips creating low spots. I was wondering if anyone had tried just replacing the glass with PEI using a 1/4 in sheet?