1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Should Threaded/Tapped Holes Have Support Material

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Michael Berna, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Michael Berna

Michael Berna New Member

If I'm designing a threaded/tapped hole, should I use support material? I will be printing so that the thread is perpendicular to the bed i.e. a nut sitting on the bed flat.

2. Robert Foreman

I have done a few of these and never needed support. I guess it would depend on how far the threads sticks out.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In general you should not need support for that.

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

If you're at the point that you're thinking about printing supports, I would just change the hole to the size you'd need for tapping with an actual tap bit and tap the threads after printing the object.

If you're talking about external threads, same thing. Print the column at the external thread diameter and then thread it with a thread die after the fact.

Coarse threads tend to print well, but anything that would be fine-threaded I'd either print as described above or go for the press-in inserts/helicoils.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

For almost all thread situations this is the best answer. For large enough threads I could see printing them, but seriously we just tap/die all of ours.

6. Michael Berna

Michael Berna New Member

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I agree that that probably is the best solution as the shrinkage of the part may make it unusable.