1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved What cause this in the print?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Aflickted, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I was having some trouble with the layer height in my new printer. It printed a few parts very nice. Then it started not extruding. So I thought.. Turns out the extruder was to close to the bed. Called tech support, they said use the macro in MC z bed 1.2. That didn't help. I read on a few forums and saw -1.0. Tried that and it was to thick so ended up with .-8. I think the height is decent now. I'm getting these burnt looking spots in prints now, although I'm getting full prints again.

2. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Tried to print again and watched it. This was attached to extruder. Looked like it was coming out of the heating element. I'm only running PLA @ 210c.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      814.7 KB
      Views:
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What extruder?
    It might have a leak at the heat break. That would explain the defects in your other post since burned filament can fall off into the print in progress.

4. Robert Foreman

This happen to me all the time when I am printing with PETG or PLA. It is like my extruder is pushing out too much plastic and it scrapes through the excess. I have sat and watched the plastic build up on the hot end till it does what you have in the picture. I have tried and tried to correct the issue but have not been able to fix it. I have a .4mm nozzle but if I extrude 100mm of plastic and measure it, the measurement is between .5 mm and .6mm and sometimes going as high as .68mm. I have tried 4 different .4 nozzle's and it is the same every time. I wish I could get it fixed so it would not do this. I have gone through and calibrated the Esteps and that has done no good.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Robert Foreman You are trying to correct this issue incorrectly. You assumption is correct, you are extruding too much plastic per layer, but there are ways to correct it. ESteps is only the first part of the equation. You actually need to measure your filament to see if it is over or under sized. Measure around 3 meters (10 feet) in various places and average it. Use a pair of calipers. You will find that your 1.75 mm filament is anything but 1.75 mm (it's the nature of the beast, don't fight it, embrace it). Then once that average is in your slicer settings, if you are still getting globs on the nozzle as a result of over-extrusion lower extrusion multiplier either a percent or .0n at a time, depending on how your slicer accepts that variable, until it stops over-extruding. Remember that we are dealing with semi-viscous materials that expand at different rates, sometimes even the same material with different coloring agents can react differently to heating. If you use this approach with every roll you get, depending on the quality control of the manufacturer you will see patterns emerge and find a set of numbers that will just work for that particular manufacturers filaments.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Measuring the extruded filament is not going to help unless you know how that material behaves. Some swell, some shrink.

7. Robert Foreman

I have measured the filament and the range is 1.72mm to 1.78mm (Hatchbox Filament). I have dropped the extrusion mupltilier as low as .8mm and it still putting out too much. I am going to keep playing with it. I want to convert it to a direct drive and get rid of the wades. I am using Simplfy 3D for my slicer. I am thinking about trying to reset it and start over.

#7 Robert Foreman, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just so you know, Greg's Wade the way it is implemented in the Robo is considered a direct drive. But I suppose you are talking about going to something like the E3D Titan? I think I am at .96 for PETG from eSUN. PLA is at 1.00, I don't do ABS and I can't recall what I am using for nylon filament.
    That's why I said it is only part of the process.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I assumed you were discussing measuring the filament pre-extrusion. I was talking about measuring it post-extrusion.

10. Robert Foreman

Yes I am watching the E3D Titan thread very close. Yea when I say direct drive I want some thing like I have on my Flashforge Creator Pro. the gear that feeds the filament is directly on the motor shaft. it has a MK10 on it and when I extrude 10mm or 100mm and measure it is around .42mm to .46mm with a .4mm nozzle. That is with the exact same roll of filament.