1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

The bracket in the picture is pretty much exactly what I ended up doing with it. Like, almost exactly. I'm sure that I could get it to mount using just the side piece, but I think that I'm going to try printing the bracket and carriage as one part. That way I know that they'll be stable.

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I'm doing that right now, however I don't think I will be able to get the hotend into it at that point. its about half done printing. I have low hopes that I will be able to get the hotend into it. I'll post pictures tomorrow morning on why this is the case because its hard to explain.

EDIT:
    This is what im printing now as one peice but not in this orientation. I don't think it will work though because when you slide the the hotend up its gotta have room to clear the titan extruder and then slide into the titan extruder slot... I'm pretty sure there wont be enough room to slide it in there.. It MAY fit if I remove the heater block and slide the titan + e3d down from the top.. but that will make things quite annoying for maintenance.

[​IMG]

#122 KTMDirtFace, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  3. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

I just did the same thing, but with the motor facing the rear in the carriage with the hotend moved forward. I haven't started printing yet, but I'm hoping it works.

As for if the hotend will fit: Yes, but you will have to disassemble the Titan and motor from the mount first. To assemble like this, you'll have to slide the hotend up through the carriage, insert it into the Titan, and then screw the extruder and motor together in the mount. It'll be a pain, but it'll work.
    [​IMG]

#123 Marcus T, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  4. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

Nothing like waking up to find your spool tangled and jammed at about hour five of a five and a half hour print. I suppose I'll just have to try again tonight.

5. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

I think the only way to truly get it to work right is an entire new carriage design...Im still not happy with mine..

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not surprising. I looked at a couple of other extruder designs and even in those cases (pre-titan) it would have meant redesigning the carriage to take full advantage of them.

7. TstarkEngineering

There are probably ways around it but cheesy ways...I want something that looks nice, functions properly and isnt hacked together... round 2 here we go...

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

So...realized I need to make my slot for sliding in the hotend/heatsink to be more of an L shaped path. Woke up and realized the questions around the PTFE this morning. There is room and should work just fine. Just need to make a small tweak. No real quick release for the hotend anymore with this. Things always look fine on paper...haha. I'll print it all out tonight and see what else is going to be a challenge.

9. danzca6

A full redesign of the carriage would make it a whole lot better. I REALLY like what @Mike Kelly has done with his V2 carriage on thingiverse. It has a lot of great features and versatility. The belt attachment setup and adjustment is one of my favorite parts. Lots of options.

10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

So I printed mine out it will work, although as I suspected its "almost" impossible to install it.

You have to put the hotend up through at an angle pretty much until the heatbreak gets caught up before there is enough room to slip it onto the Titan.

[​IMG]

But it should work.
    [​IMG]

Im going to add a wirechain mount which will also add more of a cage around the motor to make it stronger.

Although now that I know it will work I think i'm just going to wait till my new smaller motor gets here and print one out so the titan can face forward.

#130 KTMDirtFace, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  11. Kevin Bruckert

I believe this mod is going to be the one that gets me into designing custom pieces. I have an original KS edition with all the upgrades, but finally, I'm ripping out all the things that bother me about the Robo3D design. First to go were the Z limit switches. They're being replaced with an opto sensor on the carriage itself. Next, the X-axis switch will be on the right side as to only have a wire harness going up *one* side of the build platform (since the X-axis stepper is on the right side already).

12. TstarkEngineering

My new design is actually about .010" less than the original design in the x direction. Which means no loss of x. It also means possible z height increase. so far looks to be easy to assemble...(can use existing nema). Still in the works so ill see If I run into any snags.

13. danzca6

Is that with the all new carriage or did you change from a side mount motor to another orientation?

14. TstarkEngineering

nope going with a new carriage... I cant see any way of it working with the stock carriage a nice way.

15. TstarkEngineering

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is why if you don't know how to 3D model before getting a printer you need to learn :)
    Exccellent.

Printed Solid likes this.
  17. TstarkEngineering

if its successful i will post STL file tomorrow

Marcus T likes this.
  18. ProfessorPinky

19. TstarkEngineering