1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

2. ProfessorPinky

Being that I am less than a month into this hobby / obsession / money pit, in anyone's experience would the 17HS08-1004S with a holding torque of 13Ncm(18.4oz.in) work with the Titan with a v6 / v6 Volcano? I probably should have waited to purchase the above items until learning more but I too giddy to stop myself.

Ordered the 17HS08-1004S stepper motor Saturday from Amazon and is scheduled to arrive Wednesday. I guess and hope the worse that will happen is it won't feed or pull right.

3. TstarkEngineering

I imagine it will work just fine. As far as I know some people are using them on their e3d Bigboxes. but its only 9 dollars. worst case you are out 9 dollars for the printer, and can use the stepper on something else

4. Kevin Bruckert

What tool are you using for 3D modeling?

5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Looks cool, is there a hole underneath for the hotend wires/fan wires to go right up the wire chain mount? sweet.

6. TstarkEngineering

Sure is...:) might have to alter it a little but it's v2.0 so there will probably be at least a 2.1 and 2.2

7. TstarkEngineering

Solidworks

8. KTMDirtFace

I really suck at this 3d modeling lol. I can see what i want to do in my head. converting that to a model not so much. Good practice I guess. The thing I printed yesterday will totally work. But I don't like it..it was a quick hackjob test anyway.

9. TstarkEngineering

well current job is at 41% probably wont install it tonight. Tomorrow possibly.

10. Kevin Bruckert

Curious on why did you chose to put the stepper motor in front? This means you can't look into the Titan while it's printing.

11. KTMDirtFace

I was wondering the same thing since he has the smaller stepper motor already.

I'm making my own now but its a slow process. for me lol. I'm currently held up because i want to remove the Filet on my carriage for now for modifications, but don't know how.

12. TstarkEngineering

Because looking at it at the front would offset it the opposite direction which would most likely cause problems with homing...

13. Kevin Bruckert

From the look of the model, the print head of centered in the carriage. That's why the confusion.

14. Kevin Bruckert

I'm guessing that 3D modeling is more than a hobby for you...

15. KTMDirtFace

Im making my carriage wider. The stock end stop screw sticks out 10MM on the left. the quick release pull tab on the R3D R1+ sticks out about 9mm on the right..although that ends stop is in software anyway. If I move the extruder offset to the right that means I can widen my carriage and not have motors or mounts hanging off the side and still be within stock total width as long as I can route the wires through the carriage for clearance. The titan only nees to be moved over ~8.6mm from the left to not have it hanging off the side. which means I have some room to widen it on the right and still have less than stock clearances on both sides.. Hard to explain it but basically my carriage would be wider everything would be centered. It MIGHT print a tiny bit closer to X home on the left unless i put a tiny nubbin to hit the stop switch. its in my head and on paper I just suck at modeling it LOL.

EDIT: even if I didn't make my carriage wider the stock ends stop screw still sticks out further than the Titan would when flipped. so homing would not be a problem. ( Well as long as wires are not in the way and whatnot )

#155 KTMDirtFace, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Marcus T likes this.
  16. KTMDirtFace

Work in progress, but from my measurements on my NEW robo3d R1+, the carriage is 48mm wide, but 10MM sticks out on the left for the X stop switch screw. 9mm sticks out on the right for the quicl release tab.
    Which means the entire usable area of the carriage is 10 + 48 + 9 = 67MM

This is what i'm working on. currently the entire carriage is 55.8 mm wide so more room than stock really. I chopped the fillet off on both sides so I could extrude and added 9.2mm to the left and 0.6 to the right

If I do it right i wont even need a x stop screw..just maybe a tiny nubbin sticking off the side of the carriage to make sure it hits the switch..the switch is recessed a tiny bit so slamming the carriage directly into it might not quite press it in.

As it stand in this configuration, the nozzle would be a little closer to the X home position than stock..so I might be able to gain a tiny bit of X build space?..or i'll put a screw hole in or something to bump it over closer to stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this is making any sense or if I screwed up royally but i think i'm good to continue modeling this out.

#156 KTMDirtFace, Apr 18, 2016
  17. Kevin Bruckert

Which tool are you using to model?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

18. KTMDirtFace

MOI V3 http://moi3d.com/ Made by the same guy that did Rhino3d originally. but its $300 instead of $3000+ or whatever they go for these days lol works good for me.. its pretty easy to use for me. compared to everything else I have tried.

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace Did you try Fusion 360? It is free and has almost as many features as Solidworks.

20. KTMDirtFace

I installed it yesterday, but I have been using MOI for like a year and Fusion360 was confusing me. I don't see the need in switching now. MOI is really good. Also I'm not a fan of all the cloud crap in 123d and fusion 360.. just let me work with files locally. Maybe you can but I didn't have the patience to be bothered with figuring it out yesterday. It was asking me to login just to use it.. screw that.

#160 KTMDirtFace, Apr 18, 2016