1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@WADZOQUADZ There are only a very few issues left that affect Cartesian style printers and they seem to be obscure or hardware specific or documentation related. That is why RC5 appears to work as well as it does.

Thanks for the additional info on 7-Zip.

2. Bob64

Bob64 Member

I've been hacking the config to work with the original kickstarter robo. Here's one bug I've noticed. When you stop a print and leave the heaters on so they're ready for the next attempt, the next attempt never starts because I think it's waiting for the heat to get up to temp... even though it's already at temp...

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the configuration files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RC6 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and overwrite the appropriate files within the Marlin subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous versions or previous Release Candidates.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download the current RC6 zip file from https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip
    2. Extract the contents to your HDD
    3. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RC6_ABL_RoboR1 is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RC6_ABL_RoboR1PLUS is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RC6_ABL_RoboR1-TR8-8 is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    4. Overwrite the files in the Marlin subdirectory
    5. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE
    6. Clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    7. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not included in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Auto-Bed-Leveling enabled
    5. SD Card support
    6. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    7. Babystepping enabled
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB.

#344 WheresWaldo, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the configuration files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RC6 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and overwrite the appropriate files within the Marlin subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates

Basic steps required:
    1. Download the current RC6 zip file from https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip
    2. Extract the contents to your HDD
    3. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RC6_MESH_RoboR1 is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RC6_MESH_RoboR1PLUS is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RC6_MESH_RoboR1-TR8-8 is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    4. Overwrite the files in the Marlin subdirectory
    5. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE
    6. Clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    7. Re-perform the MESH leveling routine and save the results.
    8. Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn where n.nn is a positive number to move further from the bed and negative to move closer. M565 support is not included in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/9 probe points
    5. MESH Bed Leveling menu enabled
    6. SD Card support
    7. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    8. Babystepping enabled
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB.

#345 WheresWaldo, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  6. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Is there anything new is RC6

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Implementation for Mesh leveling went from 7 to 9 points? Or is that just a 3 x 3 grid?

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

3 x 3 grid. I have not tested this yet this morning as I have other more pressing issues to get to. So all feedback is appreciated.

@daniel871, personally I use a 4 x 4 grid and find that is enough, but the default is 3 x 3.

10. Bob64

Bob64 Member

One more thing I've been curious about... pid not enabled on the bed heater? Why isn't it?

11. daniel871

The bed heater is so crappy that PID tuning for it is a waste of time.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly. One of mine passed the PID test and I got good numbers, but the other one completely failed (twice). The one that I did enable PID for did not really change behavior in any significant way.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Attention MESH levelers, a change in the way one variable behaves from RC5 to RC6 made one of my edits invalid. I did not spot this until this morning. It could result in not being able to adjust the MESH at all. I have corrected it and re-uploaded the files to message #345. They are also attached to this message for convenience. Please replace previous configuration files with the ones in this archive before compiling and uploading to your Robo.

This only affects MESH leveling not ABL.

TstarkEngineering likes this.
  14. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

What does MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z value do? Seems to be bouncing around a bit over the RC's (0, 4, now 2).

Also - are there any meaningful changes in language_en.h? When I looked yesterday it looked like only change was to change all endlines from Unix style to Windows style. That made me wonder why it was included in the change and worry I was missing something.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@John Edwards In the past is was a display function and now it seems like it is the actual limit you can adjust during the MESH procedure. A value of 2 mm is more than enough to level all but the purposely misleveled beds on a Robo3D R1.

Only change is cosmetic in language_en.h, was only supposed to be in my personal files but snuck in here. It shortens the label LCD Contrast to just Contrast to allow for the actual number to appear on the same line without overlapping the text in the Full Graphics Display. I have been meaning to report this as a bug, but I always seem to forget as it is just not that big a deal.

The Unix vs Windows L/F is just a relic of the applications used to edit the files and nothing more. the Arduino IDE doesn't care which line feeds you use.

16. daniel871

So if the bed is out of flat by 2.1mm somewhere, the 2mm value won't let me adjust that far?

I don't think it will be a problem because the worst location I recall from the last time I ran mesh leveling was about +1.9 but that's pretty close to the limit.

17. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

How has 1.1.0 RC6 been working out? Thinking of giving it a shot since I'm seeing some issues with the stock firmware and starting SD card prints. I know the smart approach would be to try 1.0.2-1 (stable) first but where is the fun in that.

18. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

Is that behavior new in RC6? I left the value at 0 in my local RC5 and mesh leveling works fine for me. I had left it at 0 because it seemed that 4 was causing it to push harder on the bed (as if it was trying to go 4mm lower - possibly my imagination). I really dislike the dragging of the mesh leveling and especially dislike dragging while pushing harder, since I have BuildTak on my build plate. Looking at my mesh values, looks like left front (x,y home) is the lowest point on my bed. Maybe the limit you are referring to is for how much lower other points can be (i.e. not an absolute limit, but a one-way limit)? Just trying to understand.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If it is out 2.01 mm it will stop, if you need more than 2 mm just change the value of MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z. Any bed you have that has that much warp I would replace. that is just f'ed up.
    1.0.2-1 was a steaming pile of crap introducing more bugs than fixing. The RC have been surprisingly stable. So stable in fact that BigBox ships with 1.1.0 as their default.

Here is what I experienced today; Compiled and uploaded with MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z 0, when I tried to do the MESH bed leveling routine the encoder would not move at all. Changed to MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z 1 and MESH bed leveling let me move the head + or - 1 mm, so moved it to 2 and haven't had time to test it completely. The comment on this line says // Z after Home, bed somewhere below but above 0.0, This leads me to believe that after Z is homed Marlin thinks the top of the bed is not actually at Z0 (dictated by the endstop) but somewhere in between 0 and the amount you place in this variable. The problem with Marlin at the moment, is that things that shouldn't change in release candidates, are! I am going to leave it at 2, if you want any other value, feel free to change it yourself.

There are a few people asking for the MESH to probe like ABL does, instead of dragging itself from point to point, rather, moving up, moving over then dropping down to where it thinks Z0 is. I think there is an open ticket already but I don't know where exactly.

20. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

Looked a little more (but not enough) into MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z. There are some changes around MBL in RC6. In particular, I see it now adding MIN_Z_HEIGHT_FOR_HOMING to MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z to get z height when moving around during mesh bed leveling. Git log is not telling me as much as I'd like. So maybe my dragging problem is solved. I'll try it out soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.