1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Sudden infill issues?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RokleM, May 2, 2016.

1. RokleM

RokleM Member

Confused by this one. Same setup as previously (same filament, same settings, same SLT), all the sudden my prints have a gap on the borders. I've increased the infill overlap from 15% to 30% as still the same. It's also maybe fine on one side, but off on the other?

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My guess would be slicer issue. What slicer?

3. RokleM

RokleM Member

no...

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems like an odd one like its confused. I honestly would at least re slice and try again. Other than that check the switches for auto level? We truly need more information as to your set up to offer anything other than wild guesses.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I do not know a slicer by that name, can you link to it?

If this was working initially it may not be a software issue, but it is not an obvious hardware problem either.
    Try another slicer and see.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im guessing matter control. Hey would you use this????

NO! LOL

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. RokleM

RokleM Member

So I assumed this would be an easier answer, but apparently not. Let me clarify. "same filament, same settings, same SLT"... My point is this is that literally nothing has changed from my side, but the print quality has. It was working, and now is not.
    • Same printer
    • No new mods
    • Same PLA
    • Same settings
    • Same splicer
    • Same SLT's
    • Printer hasn't moved
    • Using SD card to save gcode
    • Even the same gcode that I've exported months ago sucesfully now has the same issue
    • All prints, old and new sliced are having the similar issue
    Basically there is some sort of mechanical or other issue with the printer that is now occurring that has not previously. That was the point I was trying to make, apparently unclearly.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, it is not obviously a mechanical issue*. Is the ambient temperature / environment the same? (It matters.)
    I agree that with the same STL and all you would expect the same results. If you are NOT getting the same results have you compared the GCode to be certain that something has not altered in the slicer? (it matters). Even small seemingly innocuous changes can alter how the slicer does the job. Some slicers are better than others and more reliably do the slicing (the free ones are all a crap shoot, but when they work they generally work OK). It could even be a failure/glitch reading the SD card.

I would suggest starting by not printing from the SD card and see if any warnings or errors are raised during the print. These are not visible when you print from the SD card. Also, try another slicer.

*obvious mechanical issues are really obvious. You would get nothing or mostly nothing -- really obvious failures. It is possible that a stepper driver is detuned or going weak, but you will not be able to tell without further testing.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One last thing is to try another model... one of the calibration models. If it is mechanical then the model will not affect it to any great extent.

If we can identify this as a stepper driver issue (model will not affect that) then you can look at tuning or replacing that -- easy enough. If the steps are always short on the same axis (X or Y) then that will be something to look at. Those going bad will cause the stepper to drop/skip/miss steps.

#9 mark tomlinson, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One other easy test is to cut the print speed in half. If that affects this then it may very well be a mechanical (rather than electrical or software) issue. Belt tension or lose set screws would be the next check in that case.

11. RokleM

RokleM Member

Ambient temp has increased 4 degrees in the room. Again, I don't understand the continuous comments at the slicer after explaining (don't take it personal, just don't understand), perhaps I'm not really not making this clear. The unit has the onboard system that you can insert a SD card with gcode output from your program (simplify3d in my case). These various pieces of gcode were generated anywhere from 1 week to 10 months ago. This gcode use to print properly, now is not. I have not overwritten, changed settings, changed filiment, changed slicers, or hooked up to the computer. So if it worked previously it should still work. Hence the reason I think there is a mechanical problem. Does that make sense?

I can hook up to the USB and see if any errors occur, will do that tonight hopefully.

I will check a calibration cube (which I have previously good gcode exported already) and see if it does the same. Interesting comment on the steppers, I will see if there is a pattern in the failures between different prints (i.e. always up/down/left/right).

I checked the belt and set screws, seemed fine. I also decreased to 40% speed with the same issue.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Because that style of failure is usually laid at the door of the slicer. You made no comments about which one so we have to assume a worst case (MatterJunk).

You might also look over here:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

There are some things you can try as well. (this one looks close: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/#gaps-between-infill-and-outline)

Given that the same GCode is changing behavior over time it is more likely something non-slicer (but you had far too little detail in the OP to make that call).

If a calibration cube is showing this and speed does not affect it, then we can look at digging into the stepper drivers. That is a more complex thing to need to do if you can solve it from the software. If the stepper driver is really failing then adjustments will not 'stick', but if it just shifted calibration a bit then you might be fine.

P.S. Since you didn't specify the printer version we don't know exactly what electronics you have, but we can nail that down if you determine it is something that could be affected by the electrical side.

#12 mark tomlinson, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Geof likes this.