1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

OK, I too had issues with Z after first few prints. Went back to M502 to clear EEPROM, manual bed level, then M500 to store. Using my start script posted previously which loads from EEPROM M501, it seems to work again.

Not sure where things got mucked up, but starting from scratch did help.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Greg Sheets It's kinda like Windows (pre Windows 10) after a while you just have to start all over again from scratch to fix some unexplainable problems.

3. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

Yes, we need <CNTL-ALT-DEL> function ;)

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Update: Keeping track of the RCBugFix branch shows over 70 commits since RC6, so work is continuing. Of course some of those are to revert other commits that broke stuff, but I am confident that there will be an RC7, just not sure when exactly. Not much of the new stuff will affect us Robo users. There are some things on Babysteps, but I didn't have time to review the changes to see what they are working on.

But I will say, that I am enjoying RC6 and have not seen any issues pop up during printing, and lately I have been printing a lot of test parts for my other projects.

5. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

I just went to RC6 last night. no issues reported....though 36 mesh points was a bit aggressive

6. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

RC6 has been pretty solid for me also. Unfortunately my testing was cut short by having a filament spool drop on the bed and break the glass. I'm probably down for at least a week since I won't get my new glass until Saturday according to FedEx.

I've been using the ABL setup.

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Scrub, go for the 7 x 7 grid and really be sure.

8. TomerO

TomerO Member

Just updated and printed a calibration cube and everything seems legit besides maybe some config changes (omg the ABL is so much faster and the result is nicer too).

For anyone looking for the H files they are at page 18 :)

Thanks Waldo!

9. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Can I still save my Z offset stored in EEPROM? I kind of got used to not having to set it anywhere else. Does feedrate of 50 mm/s sound right for the Z axis with the leadscrew upgrade? I wish the Z axis moved a little quicker sometimes, especially when doing multiple prints and you need to clear the bed every few minutes. I know that Novice Expert got them to move much quicker.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you use ABL issue your Z-Offset command with M851 then follow that with an M500 and it will save it in EEPROM. With MESH use G29 S4 Zn.nn then follow that with an M500 command and it will save your entire mesh in EEPROM.

11. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I'm sorry but what is the MESH? ABL for Auto Bed Leveling, but I'm clueless about MESH ;)

12. digitalsolo

digitalsolo New Member

MESH replaces ABL with a manually created "mesh" layout that can probe up to 49 points (probably overkill unless your print bed is a rough hewn piece of rock) and save that mesh. When you would ABL, you instead load that mesh in. It can correct for lots of bad behavior (my printer "smashes" the right side without it, with ABL). You can then offset the mesh slightly like you would a normal Z offset.

It solved a lot of ill behavior for me. Still no issues with it. Did a 52 hour print the other day and it came out perfect. 0 issues with it since RC6 went in.

13. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Can you point me to the right place to learn how to do it? I will gladly do it! I used to have a major problem with it because the plastic brackets holding linear bearings under the printbed were cracked and every time I ran ABL, it would press the bed further than it was supposed to and when it printed, it kept on squeezing on the glass too hard in one spot but printed right in the center of the bed.

14. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

Hmmm. Things are mostly working well, parts printing out. Mesh bed leveling rocks. etc.
    But...
    I've had two instances (at least one definitely) in which the printer has with no explanation lost mesh bed leveling settings and gone to "mesh bed leveling not active". This after printing out parts, turning off printer, turning it back on, printing more. Then at some point turning it off and back on and mesh bed leveling is off. Especially unwelcome since it is not immediately apparent until I'm dragging around a hot nozzle on my BuildTak.

Don't know what to say about my config. Octoprint connected to Robo3d.

Fortunately MBL with a 4x4 grid is not the least bit tedious.

#394 John Edwards, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@John Edwards, you are Storing Memory immediately after performing the MESH? MESH will stay in memory after you do it and you can print all you want until you turn off the printer. It will only survive a power down if stored.

16. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

Once the mesh is stored, and the printer is power cycled (i.e. off then back on), it will forget that it has mesh data. You need to issue a load from EEPROM M501 to restore the parameters. I include M501 in my startup script.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Thank You Waldo! I researched it a little yesterday and even attempted to do it. I went through the mesh point measuring process using the Full Graphic Controller and when done I sent G29 command using repetier-host. It spit the measured points back out, but when I tried calling G29 again, it told me that the function was inactive. The second time I called G29 was just a minute later, without disconnecting anything. Do I have to comment out the auto-leveling function out in the configuration.h file?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

@zenekNY , My understanding of the wiki notes and other comments, it is either Mesh (MBL) or Auto (ABL), but not both. In my config I comment out the ABL section. I enable both MBL and Manual MBL.

There is also a command to enable/disable MBL real-time
    M420 - Enable/Disable Mesh Leveling (with current values) S1=enable S0=disable

19. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Thank you! I misread the section in Wiki, it's actually one of the first things mentioned. Although I didn't see anything about the M420 command. Is it something mandatory to get the MBL going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.