1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

@zenekNY : I don't use te M420 commands, but I did find it in the code source.

My procedure
    1) Manual MBL from LCD control, 3x3 matrix
    2) Store in EEPROM (I issue M500 command from terminal program - I use octopi)
    3) In start script from your slicer (I use S3D), include a G28 command followed by M501, plus what ever else your printer needs)

2. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I use S3D as well, but I'm not connecting the printer directly. I generate the gCodes and run it from SD and use the LCD controller. Just to make sure, I don't need to do anything with G29 except when setting the mesh up using the LCD and saving the readings to EEPROM, after all done I just need to add G28 and M501 (not G29) to the list of gCodes that printer runs prior to the printing (start gcode?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Greg Sheets how did you find out about the necessity to issue an M501, I never saw that in the MESH documentation.

4. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

@zenekNY : See my post #338 (page 17) for my start script. I originally used the terminal to issue the G29 S1 (mesh level), but now just use the LCD to manually MBL and then store to EEPROM, its easier to twist knob than use terminal up/dn z commands.

@WheresWaldo : After power cycle, a G29 command will say "mesh not active". Even after a G28 command. However, after a load from EEPROM (M501), a G29 command will report the mesh matrix and mesh is active

5. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I think that is where my problem lies, I stored the mesh in the EEPROM but the command line echoed "mesh not active"

6. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

@zenekNY One more thing I learned. If the printer goes into "disable motors" mode at the end of the print, then you will get the "mesh not active" message until you issue a G28 command so the printer "learns" where the print head is located. Hence, the my start script leads off with M501 and G28.

7. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Very good that you pointed that out too, because for some reason after probing I got the probing results back by calling G29 and a minute later it said "mesh not active" when used the same command. I did something I didn't pay attention to and it didn't want to spit the numbers anymore. It was late in the night and I didn't want to probe it again (6x6) took a little while.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Greg Sheets I am not sure why yours requires a M501 to activate MESH. It should not be required. I just did this test.

I printed last night, then shut off my printer. But the Arduino is on because I am hooked up to OctoPrint server. So I performed the following steps.
    1. Unplugged the USB to unpower (this is not a real word) the Arduino while the printer was powered off.
    2. Turned on AC power to start printer
    3. Plugged in USB to OctoPrint server
    4. Connected to server
    5. In OctoPrint terminal issued the G28 command to home all axes
    6. In OctoPrint terminal issued the G29 command and the result was that the mesh points were shown and active.
    There should be no need for M501 as the point of EEPROM settings is that the EEPROM is read automagically at boot up of Marlin.

9. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

I thought about that. Definitely do the M500. Usually, when I turn off the printer and turn it back on, the mesh persists. . I should add though, that the arduino never actually seems to be off. It's connected via USB to a raspberry pi and the pi is connected to a UPS. So the arduino gets power from the pi. When I turn off the printer, I can still issue commands like M501 and M500 and G29 (just plain G29 to get a mesh report). Maybe I'm not usually doing a M501 (away from the pi, so can't examine setting there) and the arduino actually power cycled for some reason.

Oh well. I'll be more vigilant with the M500 and the M501 and keep an eye on things.

Thanks.

[edit note added] - I see the M501 is not needed. Maybe I missed the M500 and got an unexpected/unexplained arduino power cycle despite being plugged into the pi. I'll keep an eye on it. I also may add the M500 to the octoprint control panel that I use to drive the mesh leveling.

#409 John Edwards, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  10. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

One more thing - It would be nice if I could just turn leveling on and then give it the last leveling results (via adjust point commands - "G29 S3 ...", I think) without going through the whole move the bed around and issue store points ("G29 S2"'s I think).

edit - I see Greg Sheet's may have already pointed out the command. No more posts from me until I'm completely caught up.

11. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

this is what mesh does. you only have to run it once....

12. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

Unless you lose settings for some reason, like I did last night.

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Always run M500 after running Mesh leveling.

Also, adjusting the total mesh by a certain amount means sending the command G29 S4 Zn.nn where n.nn is the offset you'd like to have on Z (start with 1.00, adjust from there until you get the first layer results you want).

14. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Thank You guys a lot! I also wanted to point out that every time I turn the machine controls ON/OFF in S3D, Robo restarts connection and looses all volatile settings. I just had the Z offset set using G29 S4 and I had to close S3D for a minute which resulted in clearing the Z offset to 0.000

15. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Send the M500 after sending that G29 S4 code with a Z offset to make sure it gets stored.

16. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

@WheresWaldo OK, good experiment on M501. I started using M501 during RC5 days when I always got "mesh not active" notice. Good to know it works with just power-up and G28.

With MBL, I now need to start working on a real probe and hope the "auto" functionality of MBL gets incorporated into the Marlin code.

Also, another observation: With my bed cold, I get a MBL matrix and with my bed at 60C, I get a slightly different matrix. Difference is about +/- 50 microns. I'm going to speculate its the glass bowing when heated.

17. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I use only G28 and G29 S4 Z0.025 and my mesh seems to be working all the time . Im using just LCD so my ramps board is off when printers off . Btw i find .025 a good start point for the offset . At most .050 is all thats needed. 1.0 is way too much of a offset for mesh as the paper used to level is already a 1.0 offset from the bed.

18. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Question on LCD . I finally uploaded new RC6 to my other Prusa with reprap discount full graphics lcd but now it no longer shows the percent done on the LCD which i like better then the Progress bar i now have . Is there anyway to add the percent back on the LCD?

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Either code it yourself or ask the developers to provide a more modular approach to the LCD screens.

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can diff the LCD files to see what they changed. This is bleeding edge so you will have to take charge of changes :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.