1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Warping using ABS, please advise.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Aflickted, May 3, 2016.

1. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Hatchbox ABS red filiment

Hotend 237
    Bed 95c
    Robo R1
    E3dv6 hotend

Print time about 3 hours

I'm printing this box and it keeps warping on me. Just a little on the corners. I am using a fan through the shroud that attaches onto the x carriage. I've used some glue stick and hairspray as adhesive. I have also tried a 10 round skirt. The skirt did seem to help as my 2nd print did seem to stick better but I did have warping.

Also as you can hopefully see in the last picture, the rough texture of the flat print... How can I resolve this?

Attached Files:

2. John Huggins

John Huggins Member

I print ABS almost all the time. I have the bed at 90C and 230C for the hot end and no fan on the part at all. ABS does not like a cooling fan at all. For something that size I would use ABS juice and a raft on the glass print bed. Also, if you can, keep as much excess draft away from the print bed. An enclosure of some type helps keep the inside of the printer at a constant temp. I have used the plastic filament bags taped over the front and back sides of the case in the past for larger items.

Tom Finzel likes this.
  3. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I tried a raft but I couldn't get it to come off of the part very well and I need the bottom to have a nice finish.

I guess I was totally wrong about the fan for ABS. I do have it down to 25% and the bed to 100c, the end is at 235c. Seems to be doing better but the print isn't done yet.

I will try your way and see how that works though, especially if mine warps again.

Thank you for responding.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

As has been mentioned many times on this forum before, ABS is one of the most finicky filaments to print with and there are many more choices that have specifications in excess of ABS and are easier to print with. Take a look in the Printing Filaments sub-forum to see you other options. Most people have given up on ABS as it is much better for injection molding than for FDM printing.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. robocad

robocad Member

PETG on PEI sheet will solve adhesion problems normal to PLA and ABS.

6. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I removed the fan during printing. I also did the ABS juice. Enclosed the printer. I got a pretty good print after that. Haven't tried again as of yet but I'm hoping with this technique, I can have some success. It is finicky. Well worth it if it works though.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Your approach is as good as they come with this printer and ABS. If you can stabilize the printing environment it will be as good as it gets.