1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I have M501 in my start code but still get it. Like i said not a big deal though to flip the power switch off and on.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I get the message MESH not enabled on occasion but cannot pin it down. I have been doing more designing than printing lately so it is hard to test. Plus I jump around from RC to RCBugFix a lot. But I will try and see if I can pin it down some. If I can then I will open a ticket on GITHUB to see if the developers can shed some light on the matter. If I do it would sure be nice if others who have experienced the same thing can contribute to the discussion. I will let you know when a ticket is open. Otherwise, if someone else is further along in identifying when this happens I will support any ticket they open (might be faster this way since trying to find out why this is happening hasn't been a priority for me).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

would it hurt to put M501 at the end of every print? I guess reading the EEPROM doesn't reduce it's lifetime as writting to it.
    EDIT: I just realized that I misread what you posted. Thank you for the advice. Will try it today!

#443 zenekNY, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  4. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I keep having a issue with mesh leveling changing the offset by itself with or without the G29 S4 Zx.xx . I do a fresh mesh bed level (no offset in start code) and it works fine for a few prints putting the first layer down nicely. After a few prints it starts too close to the bed and wont extrude. Retry same thing. Then i try putting offset in start code and it doesnt change.

If on a fresh mesh level i put offset in the start code the offset works but same thing after a few prints it starts too close to the bed again.

I always have M501 in the start code. Have even tried putting the start code like below
    G28
    G29 S0
    M500
    M501

or

G28
    G29 S0
    G29 S4 Z.050
    M500
    M501

Neither helps . Even removing all of it except G28 dont work. I dont understand why it does this after a random number of prints. i have also tried running bed leveling when the beds hot . It always starts off fine and after x number of prints starts too close to the bed.

Im starting to believe there is some bug not allowing for the mesh offset. Maybe because of backlash on the leadscrews ? I also get mesh not active randomly too which may have something to do with it. These are about the only reasons i can think of.

Btw this is happening with RC6 w/mesh on both my Robo and my Makerfarm printer.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@WADZOQUADZ
    Why do you have M500 in your startup code? That saves in memory items to EEPROM every time it is run. I am not sure you really mean to do that, M500 should only be used once you set all the parameters you need then not again until you have actually changed something you want to keep.

6. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

No useful tips on what happened, but @WheresWaldo asked for updates, so... lost mesh settings again tonight. Nothing unusual had happened that I can think of. Checked the uptime on the raspberry pi, and it hasn't rebooted or anything, so improbable that the arduino lost power. Just stopped having mesh active. Was able to reload with M501, so no big deal, but there is definitely a bug.

#446 John Edwards, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  7. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

The M500 in the code was trying something different to see if it would save the offset and start working again. I have used it without the M500 most of the time which didnt work either. Like i said even with just G28 in the start code or G28 and M501 i had same issue. Maybe a bug where the first time mesh goes inactive it forgets where it is and prints lower ? Its not Robo specific either as its happening on my Makerfarm also with mesh RC6 .Btw i mostly print from LCD so the board is not on all the time. Iv had the first time happen when connected to computer too though.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I opened a ticket re. Random Loss of MESH Settings on Marlin's GITHUB, it is https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/3750

If anyone here can add any details to this ticket, I am sure it will help the developers possible track down this obscure bug.

9. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Any word on having Mesh Leveling do automatic probes? The docs imply it may be coming soon. I'm still using ABL because I'm lazy but I am running into situations with large parts where I can see Mesh leveling being a help.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@WZ9V No idea, we need them to fix stuff before they add more, although they appear to be adding more features anyway.

11. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Honestly, if they figure out how to have Mesh leveling run auto-probing, randomly forgetting after several prints stops being an issue since you can just have it run every print.

Would be nice to be able to just run it once and not worry about it again though.

12. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yeah, I wish they would finish off 1.1.0 and put the new stuff into 1.2.0. The final 1.1.0 seems to be suffering from one more feature syndrome preventing it from ever being done. At some point you need to say its good enough and move on.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@daniel871 MESH isn't designed for auto-probing, it doesn't use endstops for any of the MESH specific functions, so you will be wishing for a very long time. If we can get them to figure out the set once and forget, it will work like the contributor wanted it to.

@WZ9V You and me, both!

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Welcome to Open Source development.
    I do work with some that are more disciplined, but most of the smaller ones are like this...anarchy :)

15. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I think it would be great to just do it once, set it and forget it. Probing this many points every time prior to printing would be annoying, I like how it just probes each axis once and starts the job. Off course it would be nice to have the probing done all automatically even if it had to be done only once, but in my opinion it might not be as good as manual. When we do it with a sheet of paper we know exactly how much pressure is on the sheet of paper, but if it was done automatically the nozzle would press on the bed more causing it to move down various amounts in different spots. The bed on R3 is not 100% solid and when printing, there is no pressure applied to the bed by the nozzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

RepRapFirmware lets you save a set of z-offsets by probe point which while not as good as Me
    RepRapFirmare solved that by allowing you to define the points used in the grid and each one can have its own z-offset. The probing the points is a small amount of time compared to the average print. I don't have the same confidence that a moving bed on a printer in this price range is ever a set and forget situation. IMHO probing the points before print is a better option, assuming a repeatable and consistent z-Probe is installed.

17. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I think replacing the glass bed with that MIC6 Aluminum slab, a better heater and the sensor mod that detects the aluminum bed distance from the carriage vs. using the nozzle tip for the probe would probably be the best combination for an automated Mesh leveling.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So the contributor thinks MESH is disabling because not all axes are homing properly. I am not sure that is the cause, but I am now going to watch homing every time to see if it actually homes all three axes before failing on MESH.

19. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Im pretty sure all axis are homing but maybe the Z is homing in a different spot throwing the mesh settings off maybe because of filament on the nozzle of built up hairspray on the bed etc .Although this wouldnt make as much sense on my Makerfarm as mesh leveling is done by homing to a fixed endstop then traveling past the endstop.If it didnt home on it the nozzle would crash through the bed.

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@WADZOQUADZ I have a couple of ideas, first though, thank you for contributing to the open issue on GITHUB. I see we now have someone using a BIGBOX that has a similar issue. Second, I really believe that bed flex is a real issue with the Robo and affects the MESH in an disruptive way. If we could move the Z0 test to X10, Y10 then there would be less flex and a much more consistent Z home measurement. I know we can home each axis individually but I am not sure we can force it to home Z at a specific location. If we could I think we could get more consistent results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.