1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prometheus Hot End - Indigogo Project

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by JohnStack, Apr 8, 2014.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You should be able to calibrate the e-Steps and get 100mm extrusion to be 100mm.
    That is all mechanical so it should be straightforward. If not then something might be wrong with the extruder stepper or stepper-driver causing the extruder stepper to skip steps occasionally.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If have to guess if everything was done right and you cant get it to work per the e step video
    1. You had a failure

2.you might have done something wrong

I can verify the e steps DOES work and works well

3. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad There are many things that you have not considered in your simple comparison.

The only parameter you were changing was the extrusion multiplier. However, there are many other extrusion parameters (temp, extrusion width, etc..) that are much more significant factors when calibrating a hot end. You cannot expect to get the results you want if you do not calibrate each hot end independently. Due to the geometry, material properties, and other design features each hot end gets best results with different parameters. You did not bother to properly calibrate your Prometheus V2 to optimize its performance based on these parameters so you cannot post prints side by side and blame the hot end for defects that show up in the print and that could have been avoided by using different settings.

I can assure you that the results you are getting have nothing to do with defects in the nozzle. I inspect each nozzle one-by-one before shipping so I can assure you that there will not be mechanical defects.

At this point all I can say is that I would be happy to offer you a refund if you return the hot end undamaged to my address. If this is what you want then please get in touch via the contact form on my website: https://www.distechautomation.com/pages/contact

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@RP Iron Man man whats the damage on a used hotend? Id like to give this specific one a go and see how it goes :). Your hotend looks very interesting just havnt gotten my other printer built to need it yet ! Haha.

#144 Geof, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  5. robocad

robocad Member

Thats not a bad idea, i'll return this and someone else can figure out the settings required to make it work properly on a robo, i certainly dont have any clue what else can be done besides a PID autotune, its a hot block of metal that you push plastic through, the variables are quite limited.

6. robocad

robocad Member

Perhaps but then you would think that adjusting the steps would have some effect, but it behaves as if adjusting the steps has no effect at all.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is a necessity to get good prints out of any hotend. It would be no different then the work robo did for their hex. Base settings that get the hotend they use to work. If you buy afternarket and replace it its then all on your ability to figure out what settings the hotend need. Even my e3d v6 required test prints and sertings tweaked. All part of the printer game.

As far as the e steps i can verify it DOES work if done correctly and the adjustments make a major difference.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The PID autotune will have a minimal effect on things. I find it odd that the eSteps is not having a drastic effect for you.
    It is not complicated or anything, that is telling the firmware how far to drive the extruder. Maybe (maybe) if you stored settings in the EEPROM it would affect this, but I didn't think so. I avoid ever doing that (using the flash EPROM) since I want changes that I make to be immediately reflected. I don't want to have to even think about it.

Geof likes this.
  9. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@Geof Sounds like a great idea! I am sure you'll love this hot end. Let me know when you have your printer finished and you are ready to try out the Prometheus V2 :)

We also have some interesting new products in development so stay tuned!

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Will do ! Waiting on the quote for an aluminum plate and then assembly! Ill keep you posted. Reply here or just a PM ?

11. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

You can reply here!

Cheers,
    Eric

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Plate will be done the week after Memorial Day :)

Then printer construction lol

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@RP Iron Man ill have this beastie built up by the end of next week if youve still got that hotend laying around :)

14. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@Geof Sorry for the late response! I have been busy working on an exciting new product!

Just get in touch via the contact form with your address and I'll ship you a Prometheus V2 hot end :)

Cheers,
    Eric

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ahhh! That is exciting ! Thanks very much! I look forward giving it a workout !

Im excited to see what approach you take with your new product ! Very cool!(dont want to spoil it for the others :))

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

An update to all. I installed the v2 on my robo copy... Ran some test prints and they were great then I remembered we are in a robo forum! Haha I'll install on my actual robo r1+ tomorrow and start a thread with a link here to the results. It will take a few days of printing to be fair on my personal thoughts but I'll snap some photos of the install process and share some photos of some prints along the way.

My current set up is an e3dV6 with dual part cooling fans so this is going to be super fun install and comparison!

Stay tuned ! :) it's going to be a fun week! If anyone has some thoughts on what to print send them my way :)

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

18. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

It has been a while since I last posted here. It's good to be back! :)

For the past several months, we have been working on an upgrade for the Prometheus Hot End called "The Prometheus System" which is a unique solution for multi-filament 3D printing! This will allow you to print multi-color objects, print with support material, and print multi-material objects with composite structures and special materials.

We are a couple of weeks away from the Kickstarter campaign for this new product so I wanted to reach out to keep you all in the loop. Check out the Kickstarter landing page and sign up to receive a notification when we launch our Kickstarter. By signing up you will be the first to know when we launch and get the first pick of the discounted Early Bird rewards!

I will start a new discussion thread for "The Prometheus System" next week when we release the teaser video along with more information about the product. We are really excited about this new product launch and we hope you are too!

----------------------------
    **PRE-KICKSTARTER CLEARANCE SALE**

As we approach our Kickstarter launch, we are offering a 15% discount for all orders placed before the campaign. Head over to our website and use the discount code: DTA15OFF to receive a 15% discount for your order. We will also include a free 2 color 3D printed keychain with your order! This is just a small sample of what our new product is capable of!

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Eric

Geof likes this.