1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Advice to Print Better Tops of Curved Surfaces or Spheres

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 3DMan, May 14, 2016.

1. 3DMan

3DMan New Member

It seems to me this could be accomplished two different ways. One way could be to decrease the printer head speed (moving from X,Y to a new XY position) while keeping a constant extrusion rate. The other way would be to use a higher extrusion rate but while mainting the normal printer head speed. I think the idea is to put out more extruded filament for a given path. My experience has been that the printer head does not seem to slow down if I increase the width. That being said, depending on your cooling situation, you may need to slow it down so that the extra thermal mass has time to sufficiently cool by the time the next pass comes around. To me, it would be really annoying if changing the extrusion width changed printer head speed because it would throw off all of your print speed settings. Then again, I have read on S3D's forums that their print time estiamtes are usually off. Perhaps this is a contributing reason? I don't know, but this is a good discussion. I actually have a S3D ticket open regarding the slicer extruding filament over open air (added picture to the end of my 1st post). I'll see if I can get their take on the extrusion width setting.

#21 3DMan, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I will play around with it when I get a chance and see if I can confirm. Moving printers and furniture around ATM.
    The docs are not perfect.

Sent from my Xtreme Play Tab v2 using Tapatalk

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

We could be talking about minute changes to speed based on Extrusion Width, so it may not be visibly apparent. You might need to print a test fixture using multiple widths and a stopwatch to really tell the difference.

Also since most nozzles start with the same stock profile, the flattened portion of the nozzle tip doesn't change, while the diameter of the orifice might. I would not consider it a 'best practice' to exceed the S3D recommended 120-150% Extrusion Width figure. If you were to swap nozzles with say a 1.0 mm you may not be able to properly flatten an extrusion width of 1.2 to 1.5 mm.

3DMan likes this.