1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved What can i do when autobedlevel just isnt working?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robocad, May 16, 2016.

1. robocad

robocad Member

I got it set to 10 x 10 points and when it lays down the brim around the perimeter of the bed some sections stroodle out and dont adhere and others are so close it blocks the hotend. The buildplate it adhered tightly to the bed so its not popping up and ive ran and reran the autobed level and the result is the same, its like its not doing anything at all. What else can i do? Is there a better autobed level sensor i can get?

2. robocad

robocad Member

Ive been doing tests with and without autoleveling by restarting the printer and giving the eeprom time to empty out, im not seeing any difference, it looks like robo's autobedleveling is a sham.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had to shim my bed. I used an indicator to make flat.and adhesive shims. Some of our beds just arnt flat enough for auto level to work properly.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Marlin. Robo did not write the firmware and yes, they (Marlin) are hard at work designing a better leveling system (mesh).

5. robocad

robocad Member

Well i figured out what auto bed leveling actually does. I had shimmed my plate using sections of tape which got my test print 95% accurate without any leveling. Well i figured what the hell let me G29 it again and see if i can get it 100%, and it screwed everything up. So i unplugged the printer hoping what i was told was temporary settings to disappear, nope. See what its doing is not changing your print height in realtime as its being sold as, i mean do you really think that crappy little onboard processor could modify gcode on the fly against a offset grid plane? No what its doing is taking an average of its tested offsets then changing the leveling of the linear screw rails to what it thinks is level. It physically moves the rails, then thats it, there are no settings it remembers.

So no this is not "auto bed leveling", this is "auto x axis leveling". Which means Robo3d is falsely misrepresenting this feature in its advertisements.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Marlin calls is ABL, Robo just advertises what Marlin offers (and frankly this is the terminology the entire 3D printing world uses).
    Yes, it calculates a mathematical plane that intersects all of the points it detected, applies the offset and then uses that to adjust every point as it is printing,

Matrix leveling (which is new in the versions of Marlin NOT YET IMPLEMENTED by Robo) is a batter approach IMHO.

I do agree that once you get your mind around it you see that it is not, perhaps, what one would consider to be actual bed leveling. More of an automatic compensation which depends on the X being pretty much nailed already.

#6 mark tomlinson, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a few different firmware types out there as well as other types of electronics that run the printers (Smoothie boards, BBP boards, the Makerbot stuff, etc.) so there is no consensus -- to put it mildly -- on how all of the technology should work :)

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like youd be better off checking your x with a paper leveling and verifying your offfset vs venting.

9. robocad

robocad Member

No, this is not how it works, this is how we'd like to think it works and how its sold as, but if this was how it works then there would be no need to level the bed manually, it could compensate for any variation and print a perfect plane every time. Go ahead and try to print a sheet of plastic with this "auto bed leveling", youll either end up with a perfect sheet or the realization that this is not how this crappy tech works.

10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have 2 robo3d's If I do the paper test on both of them I get massive diffrences left to right ( x axis ). I think it is because the right side of the machine has to lift a giant weight ( motor ) as it levels.

I have shimmed the bed and that works.. what also works for me is just doing G28 command then moving the print head to the far left, shutting everything down and making it so that the sensors "click" when calibrated from the left side of the machine. It looks rediculus because there is an obvious skew on the rods but it works.as both sensors get triggered at close to the same time now when it auto levels. Where if you do it from the middle. and it auto levels on the left side the right side will NEVER trigger.