1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Does Wood PLA requires higher temperature?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NaughtyGarfield, May 20, 2016.

1. NaughtyGarfield

Hello Guys,

It's me a again, this time I am testing Wood PLAs and I noticed I get a lot of clump/hump around the perimeters and also the build, please see attached picture. Does anyone know why that is? I am using the original Wood PLA from Robo3D directly.

I can't tell if it's too hot that why it's uneven with clumps or too cold?

Attached Files:

2. MarcusK

MarcusK New Member

I've used three brands of wood filament: Hatchbox, Sainsmart, and MG Chemicals. I haven't tried the Robo3D brand. For all three I've tried, I pretty much just use the same settings as regular PLA, about 200-210C. I did need to increase the retraction to prevent blobs and strings. Also make sure you're using the print cooling fan.

3. MarcusK

MarcusK New Member

I never managed to completely get rid of all the blobs and clumps, but it doesn't matter for my purposes. I use wood filament for product design models because it's easy to sand and paint. The clumps come off no problem with a little sandpaper.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I use hatchbox and colorfabb. I havnt used the robo stuff either.

Print the deprime model from thingiverse. Im heading to bed so dont have the link. If you post your results of that we can aide better in retraction, temp possibly, etc.

Also i use an oiler on my wood filaments. Dont know if it helps but i do. Hatchbox i print around 200-210 but print temps vary drastically printer to printer.

Might be worth checking to see if your extruder is calibrated as well.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. NaughtyGarfield

Sounds good! Let me print a deprime and report back here. Thanks!

Geof likes this.