1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved LCD Screen for ROBO 3D Printer R1 Plus

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 3D Printer Man, May 21, 2016.

1. 3D Printer Man

I wanted to install an LCD Screen so I can use the LCD screen to print. I would like it to just print with out connecting my computer to the printer.

hi1 likes this.
  2. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

There are a few options. Amazon has the 2004 Reprap Discount LCD for $15 and 16.90 for the full Graphics display. I have both :). Easy to install. Former is plug and play- which means no firmware changes needs to be made, the latter requires a wee more geek skills and patience. Both work real good and allows you to use a full size SD card instead of that micro stuff that I seem to drop inside all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Oh, if u are on a Mac and all u have are Macs do urself a favor skip the full graphics one. I couldn't get El Capitan to flash the firmware. On my Lenovo it took 30 secs...

Before I gave up I have isolated it to either a permissions issue or a driver issue with El Capitan.

4. 3D Printer Man

I have a HP windows computer/pc

hi1 likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The either will work although the non-full graphics one is easier as @GAmbrosio pointed out because you don't need to modify the firmware. Look at them and decide which one will suit your needs.

GAmbrosio likes this.
  6. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Mark, coreect me if I am wrong outside of the possible customization of the "graphics" er Atari vcs 2600 bitmap sprites thingy, what is the advantage of the full graphics over the vanilla? I've yet to see it, especially after pulling out some curses that's been in hiatus.

Op, if you want to be a risk taker, as the price differential is virtually zip, the full graphics one will require these steps

Get the adruino software.
    Get the latest firmware for ur printer
    Get the u8glib library- need these files for displaying the neat 1977 awesome graphics

install Adruino software and unzip the Robo firmware,of course...)

Unzip the u8glib into the documents\adruino\library folder on your PC.

Start the Adruino app. Open the Robo firmware, go to the configuration h. Tab. Around line 529, remove the // on the #define Reprap Smart full graphics . Find the #define 2004 Reprap discount LCD and add // in front of it to comment it out. Then open up the dog_font something...you'll see it in the list of modules with firmware. Replace all references to utility\u8gclib to clib\U8gclib

Now hit the arrow pointing to the right in the Adruino software. It will compile and flash. Done.

When the backwards spin on the potentiometer makes you dyslexic, let me know here and post more instructions...:)

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you are a coder you can customize the display quite a bit on the full graphics one.
    It also has more stuff on the screen at a time and more controls menus than the RepRap discount.
    For what I normally use the screen for the cheap one is more than enough :)

Geof and GAmbrosio like this.
  8. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Sorry if the instructions suck, I am not autistic enough to be a coder nor am I mother hen-y to be a technical trainer- I'm a break/fix type of dude.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.